Getting started with silver clay jewellery making? Read our useful glossary on all things silver clay to help you on your journey
- Acrylic Roller – A compact and lightweight clay roller. Unlike standard ‘Rolling Pins’ the clay roller has a hallow core designed to keep the clay cool.
- Art Clay Silver – A leading silver clay brand. The Art Clay Silver range includes silver clay packets in a range of sizes as well as clay paste and other essential clay tools.
- Balm – Metal clay balm is a useful solution that can be applied to hands, tools & surfaces to prevent metal clay from sticking to hands, tools & surfaces.
- Bronze Clay – Easy to use clay that turns to pure, solid bronze once fired.
- Bond – Clay bond is used for joining fired metal clay pieces with other sterling silver pieces, findings and more without the use of solder.
- Brush – stainless steel brushes that can be used to create a matt finish.
- Copper Clay – Easy to use clay that turns to pure copper when fired.
- Clay Findings – A range of sterling silver findings that can be fired safely with silver clay
- Cutters – Different shaped cutters that can be used to create a clean, precise shape
- Cutting Mat – A protective surface used for cutting metal clay
- Fired – The name giving to the process in which the high temperatures turn clay into silver
- Flexible Clay Cutter – A tool used for shaping, smoothing and trimming
- Kiln – A machine that works similarly to a conventional oven, a kiln heats to very high temperature. Ideal for use with silver clay.
- Mandrel – A hardwood tool used to shape clay rings
- Needle Tool – An essential clay tool used for cutting designs into clay
- Picklean – A safe, non-toxic pickle used for metal clay pickling and removing fire scale after soldering
- Pickling – The process of removing oxidation from soldered jewellery pieces
- Sanding Pads – Soft and flexible sponge pads that can be used wet or dry on metal clay
- Sculpting – The process of moulding clay into the desired shape
- Shapers – Tools used for smoothing out joints, texturing and manipulating clay
- Spacers – A simple and easy to use plastic tool that helps to ensure your clay is rolled correctly and evenly
- Spatula – A large, wooden handled spatula used for loading and unloading items in a hot kiln
- Wood Clay Powder – A special formula, which once mixed with water turns into a moldable clay that can be fired.