Thread: Soldering!

Default Soldering!

I have just soldered a bezel that I made on to the ring, I used med hard solder. The solder bubbled up as if to disperse as normal but didn’t, I didn’t want to melt my bezel, (fine silver) so only left the heat on a bit longer then quenched ring etc
    The ring is soldered, and luckily it’s only a practice ring and only I will be wearing, but underneath I can still see the solder squares!

Can anyone shed any light on what has happened?

As I’m typing this I’m thinking this was my second attempt, the first one failed and the solder flowed but the ring didn’t solder to the bezel. Could the ring and bezel have soldered together with the original solder and that’s why I still have second solder partially melted on the bezel?

Thanks

Kerrie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medium solder seems to often cause this issue, you will find that many people avoid using it and do as much as possible with hard then switch to easy.

Thanks, Ah great, I will buy some hard, I think this happened before quite a while ago, I have easy and very easy, wish I had used that now! Everything was going so well lol Grrrr

Might I also mention that fine silver has higher melting point compared with sterling. Its reputation for frazzling up when heated is only because people buy ready bezel strip which is very flimsy.

Those in the know buy or make strip from fine silver sheet, never thinner that 0.4mm, but often much thicker. Dennis.

Great thanks for the tip,

I don't see a bezel.Are you trying to solder that silver ring to the round copper sheet? I would say brighten the solder by rubbing with some wet 'n' dry paper, solder well and then heat gently but steadily. The solder must melt first.
    It sounds to me that you are being too hesitant ( very natural in a beginner) and are just unfamiliar with the process.
    It's all good.
    Nick

Ah, useful to know Dennis - I've just ordered some of the bezel strip from Cookson's to have a play with some seaglass projects so I'll have to go carefully with it. (I've been practicing the basic technique a bit with copper.)

Re the original question, did you use enough flux to make the solder flow? When I've had this issue soldering its always been insufficient flux, though i've been using either easy or hard. Also I'm still just learning myself so by no means an expert, but if the squarish bits either side of the ring band are the pallions then to me they look quite big and not really in the right place for a neat join. Perhaps Dennis or Sarah could comment/advise further?
    Hazel

I agree with Sarah, it's probably the medium solder although I used to use it a lot without problems. Make sure all your solder strip is really clean, use a needle file or wet and dry. If you have a soldering pick or use a piece of binding wire, you can start to help the flow once the solder starts to melt by taking the pick or wire through the solder along the joint. This takes a bit of practice and a quick hand

Quote Originally Posted by eekoh View Post
    Ah, useful to know Dennis - I've just ordered some of the bezel strip from Cookson's to have a play with some seaglass projects so I'll have to go carefully with it. (I've been practicing the basic technique a bit with copper.)

Re the original question, did you use enough flux to make the solder flow? When I've had this issue soldering its always been insufficient flux, though i've been using either easy or hard. Also I'm still just learning myself so by no means an expert, but if the squarish bits either side of the ring band are the pallions then to me they look quite big and not really in the right place for a neat join. Perhaps Dennis or Sarah could comment/advise further?
    I agree Hazel.