Thread: emery paper grades

Default emery paper grades

sorry, another question!

Now I have mastered piercing, I need to look more closely at finishing my copper and silver. I know that I need to polish out scratches, but how many grades of emery paper would you recommend? I'm getting a bit bogged down!

At my classes we have just used wheels on a pendant motor. I have a dremel, so would Cooksons radial disc kit (sorry, I haven't made enough forum posts to be allowed to post links] be sufficient? Or would I need papers as well?

My most used grades of wet & dry are p320, p600, p1200; I've got coarser & finer (think I've got some p3000 around) as well as Micromesh and a host of other abrasives. Once I've gone to p1200 I'd switch to polishing mops.
    The Dremel will work with the radial discs; you can go through the grades and get a reasonable finish but I'd always end up finishing with a mop & polish. Paper is much cheaper too.
    There's also products like Garryflex around - I know one jeweller who teaches the use of the blocks cut up into more convenient lumps.

I use 600, 800, 1200 and 1600. I also use the silicon polishing tips, and felt points and soft mops to finish

If you really want to learn how to polish master polisher (polishes for Theo Fennel amongst many others) Stephen Goldsmith runs classes. He has a class at the goldsmith's centre in November.
    @goldpolisher
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I have re-written this post below in order to add a picture.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-07-2017 at 10:05 PM.

There are other ways of looking at this.
    Obviously, traditional fine jewellery requires traditional treatment, including meticulous finishing.

What I make is mostly from wires, drawn down by me, or from textured sheet. So I go to great lengths to preserve the integrity of the profiles , the marks of the drawplates and the freshness of the textures.

Finishing (except for some remedial work on excess solder) is limited to a brush up with a soapy brass brush, or a turn in the tumbler. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tourmaline Ring.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    There are other ways of looking at this.
    Obviously, traditional fine jewellery requires traditional treatment, including meticulous finishing.

What I make is mostly from wires, drawn down by me, or from textured sheet. So I go to great lengths to preserve the integrity of the profiles , the marks of the drawplates and the freshness of the textures.

Finishing (except for some remedial work on excess solder) is limited to a brush up with a soapy brass brush, or a turn in the tumbler. Dennis.
    That's refreshing! And a beautiful piece that enhances the stone. Not having a full workshop with lots of polishing equipment I now feel slightly less amateur.

Lots of helpful advice, thank you all!

Dennis, that is just beautiful.