Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh flux!

Talking Oh flux!

Hello everyone

Sorry about the title

I've been making silver jewellery for a few years but only on and off so I still feel like a beginner. Till now I have been using the borax cone and dish for my flux, but this is getting on my nerves. Can anyone recommend an easier and/or quicker way of fluxing? Which do people prefer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Jill

I prefer Auflux, seems to work just as well but without the faff.

Thanks Enigma, I shall look into it.

Yes Auflux. Been using it for more than 20 years (yikes)
    Recommend that you decant a small amount into a small pill box sized sort of airtight container as and when you need it because it does evaporate and putting the brush into the big bottle is also a faff (esp when you drop the brush into the bottle) I use one of the tiny plastic pill boxes I supply French wire in, then I can dip some items in directly or use tweezers for the pallions instead of a brush, and that is easier too
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Excellent advice, many thanks Pearlescence. Looking forward to having 20 years of experience myself!

I have used a borax cone and dish for over 50 years now and see no reason to change. It's simple, cheap and relatively safe. May I ask why you don't like using it Jill?

James
    James Miller FIPG.

I'm afraid I must be a little lazy and was looking for something less 'faffy'

I had been using Auflux, but I ended up going back to the borax cone as it stays on the metal better.

Yes its lazy, very definitely, I can't think of any other reason for using it as it certainly doesn't perform better.
    But anything that speeds up things is good for me

Borax cone for me too Jill,
    I did get some Auflux but found borax wets the metal better as long as it is clean which is what I think Peter is saying.
    Decanting Auflux as mentioned is a good idea though as I knocked my bottle over and lost half it.
    When I started learning jewellery, I used to spend a long time trying to get a thick paste worked up but have since found that a few drops of water and a quick rub around the bowl with the cone gives me enough flux to last quite a while with the occasional top up of water and a swirl. I think it also makes a difference that the bowl has been 'well seasoned' with use. I also wash the bowl periodically to flush away any contaminants that may build up although I'm not sure if this is necessary

A question for the others though - Is Auflux better for gold? I was led to understand it was by a previous tutor.
    Tim