Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watch repairs

I think there's some truth in that Chris. A lot of people would rather pay twice the price in a gallery than buy cheaper at a craft fair. I had someone once who bought from me at a show at Christmas and asked me not to tell his wife that he hadn't bought it in a gallery!

The craft fairs that we go to are the cheap end of the craft fairs. Its good if you have £300 spare to cover the cost of a stall, but neither of us have, plus of course you have no guarantee that you will cover the cost, £35 is a lot easier to find. I quite agree that we could probably put our prices up x 4 and still sell if we were at the right fair, but you have to have the confidence to know that your stuff is good enough to sell at the higher prices.

The galleries up here have a very strict policy of you not selling your work anywhere else cheaper than them. I don't know if this is normal practice

I've never had a gallery dictate anything about prices Caroline. In fact, they seem to accept that things will be a bit cheaper at a craft fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    The craft fairs that we go to are the cheap end of the craft fairs. Its good if you have £300 spare to cover the cost of a stall, but neither of us have, plus of course you have no guarantee that you will cover the cost, £35 is a lot easier to find. I quite agree that we could probably put our prices up x 4 and still sell if we were at the right fair, but you have to have the confidence to know that your stuff is good enough to sell at the higher prices.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head Pat. It's about having confidence in your work.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I've never had a gallery dictate anything about prices Caroline. In fact, they seem to accept that things will be a bit cheaper at a craft fair.
    The galleries and even the shops firmly state now that no artist will sell their work cheaper anywhere else which is a bit of a cheek

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    This is the sort of thing common here :- We ask all artists supplying us to tell us their retail price for their work so that customers buying from the gallery pay no more than they would if buying from the artist directly.

It doesn't seem entirely unfair - if a shop or gallery is trying to sell work then it hardly seems fair to have the maker undercut them.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

I thought retail price maintenance was made illegal in the 1970's. In other words my understanding is that is is illegal to enforce a standard price for a product by dint of buying power or market dominance. It is anti-competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

It's unlawful for a supplier to dictate the price at which goods will sell, or to refuse to allow discounting. Competition Act 1998 covers quite a lot of ground.

I don't see anything problematic in agreeing not to undercut the gallery. Nor do I see any problem with a gallery with work on SOR asking you to remove it if you decide not to honour that agreement.
    Let's face it, if you become known as someone who'll sell your work at a lower price than it's available for in the gallery, why should they waste their time displaying your work for no reward?

It's not anti-competitive, it's anti-shooting-yourself-in-the-foot.