Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch repairs

Default Watch repairs

Strange question, does anyone know of a watchmaker that can repair a watch which is over 100 years old. It needs a new spring and a wheel apparently. The story behind it - a friend of my grandmother gave me a watch when I was thirteen that his father had made. I have given it to my daughter but it needs work doing. It is in A silver case and is quite pretty and the local chap said the company he works for wouldn't repair it so I am looking for a hobby watch repairer.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    the local chap said the company he works for wouldn't repair it so I am looking for a hobby watch repairer.
    I'm not sure I follow. Why a hobby repairer particularly? If the watch is repairable then there will be professionals willing to repair it.

Probably, but you have to find someone that is capable of making the wheel etc. or at least has one the right size. My thoughts about the hobby repairer was that they may be interested in tinkering with a hand made watch of that age, and it wouldnt be just "another" watch to repair. I havent tried Samuels or anyone like that, but I doubt if they would be interested. I have tried one individual and he said it would take too long, as it would be a labour of love. Just as why a hobby chap, my husband repairs computers, phones etc and does it for fun, doesnt charge for labour, just the bits to go in it.

Pat, in the past when I worked at a company called McCabe McCarty, the watch and clock maker Paul Mason worked on pieces that I had made, Paul had worked at Cartier and he can do anything related to watches and clock movements, he creates his own clocks and watches also, this is his website; http://www.paulmasonfbhi.com/Watches.htm

Paul fitted the watch and clock movements into these pieces that I made back in those days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030aa- RC.Butterfly clock,09,84.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	7993 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013- RC.oval clock.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	7994 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014- RC.triangular clock.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	7995 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019- Plique e-jour egg,Jan 1981.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	7996 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018- Apple suprise.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	7997

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 04-08-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Have you tried contacting the British Horological institute? They're very helpful and will advise you of watchmakers....

We have one or two family run jewellers that were old fashioned watch makers in the area Pat, aren't there any beside you?

Have a look through yellow pages? Along with the other suggestions, there should be someone able to do it. Someone who does restoration work on watches?

As an aside, it's interesting that your husband also has a hobby doing things for others that he doesn't charge for. I think you're both selling yourselves short,along with those who do charge, there.

With regard to a hobbyist though,they would probably still charge you

Not expecting it to be done for nothing, but just havent got the money to spend much, my pension doesnt stretch far. As for not charging much for our "services", the two craft fairs that we go to regularly we never make much money. Got an enquiry for a ring, to be made in Adventurine and silver, gave her a guide price of £35 - she said she would ring me back, but thats the last i heard. Last weekend my daughter (who also makes silver jewellery as a hobby), sold a pair of simple thin silver studs for £15 and I sold two rings for £35 each. We would both love to sell more but people genuinely just dont seem to want to spend. We do seem to sell more when the weather is good tho and last Sunday it was really cold so people were filling up the pubs and cafe's not the craft market.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Not expecting it to be done for nothing, but just havent got the money to spend much, my pension doesnt stretch far. As for not charging much for our "services", the two craft fairs that we go to regularly we never make much money. Got an enquiry for a ring, to be made in Adventurine and silver, gave her a guide price of £35 - she said she would ring me back, but thats the last i heard. Last weekend my daughter (who also makes silver jewellery as a hobby), sold a pair of simple thin silver studs for £15 and I sold two rings for £35 each. We would both love to sell more but people genuinely just dont seem to want to spend. We do seem to sell more when the weather is good tho and last Sunday it was really cold so people were filling up the pubs and cafe's not the craft market.
    Don't try the man I suggested Pat, he will want top prices for his work. I am afraid that the trade's top workers charge a lot more per hour than I am sure you could afford to pay for your watch repair.

James

I think you're going to the wrong shows Pat. You're not even covering the cost of your time, let along materials.