Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Gift Idea.

Default A Gift Idea.

The Idea is not new, because I saw something like it in a museum gift shop, in Switzerland a while back: A magnetic dish for paperclips, which arrange themselves like a nest, and a bird perched on the side.

The dish was made by raising it from a 60.0 mm x 0.6 mm silver disk, using just a ballpein hammer and a steel block. When I had taken it as far as I could I sharpened it up in a Perspex die, reinforced with brass, using a plug of neoprene and my hydraulic press. To finish the rim, I levelled it and added ring made from 1.5mm round wire, pressed flat.

The bird instead of being realistic as the one I saw, is made to look more like Origami. It is mounted on piece of 2.0mm tubing, to slip onto a round wire post soldered onto the tray. The disk magnet is hidden in a round box beneath, which also serves as a pedestal. The cover fits by friction

Quite a palaver, really for what started out as a simple project. Several of the parts which were new to me were tried out in copper first. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g1 Pressing With Rim.jpg   g2 Post And Tube For Bird.jpg   g3 Base Magnet And Cover.jpg   g4 Paper Clip Nest.jpg  

That is beautiful, what a neat idea for a desk! Especially love the origami bird, that must have taken some careful planning to do

Dennis, you've excelled again! Love it.

OMG, that's fabulous Dennis and so unusual.
    Jules

My husband is making happy noises - he is trying to teach himself origami. Lovely Dennis.

Fabulous Dennis - I love the little bird.

So clever! I trust the recipient was chuffed!

Thank you all for you comments. I am just waiting to see now, whether the magnet will become a nuisance and gather all sorts of stuff. I have already warned not to put it close to a computer. Dennis.

This is gorgeous!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Lovely, of course it is super and one could only be attracted to it. However Dennis, you have done my OCD keeping things in pairs issue no favours! Only one green and one white clip! Lol. ( joking, of course, one white clip is fine....)