Thread: Microwelders

Default Microwelders

Who uses them and for what aspects please?
    I still can't have a 'proper' torch in my studio, and am looking at relatively 'safe' alternatives...

I've always wanted one, for tacking parts together prior to soldering, Lydia. They connect things in spots, so would also be good for chains, and for repairing things close to gemstones.

I have never had a 'proper' torch and am perfectly happy with my Campingaz, of which I have two. Sometimes I use both together for larger items. By using a home-made brass clip to partially close the air holes, I can change from a fierce to a bushy flame. However this is not approved by the makers.

Some members also recommend the Nimrod, which is hot enough for many jewellery items. For chains and links, I use a proxxon. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg  

thanks Dennis.
    I have one of those (not campigaz brand) but find it flares a lot - is this the nimrod one do you know? http://www.nimrodeuropedirect.com/?opt=item&id=132
    Looks worth a try certainly.
    I use a 'standard' micro torch and this fella, but a bit more oomph would be handy.

Yes, that Nimrod is the one, but of course I don't have one, so while many regular members are on holiday, I feel like the little Dutch boy, keeping my finger in the dyke.

As for the larger hand helds, mine flares a bit when it has a new cylinder, but soon quietens down. The secret is not to turn them up too much until they have warmed up. Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-08-2013 at 06:57 PM.