Thread: How do you clean silver jewelry?

Default How do you clean silver jewelry?

How can I clean silver jewelry without purchasing a fancy jewelry cleaning unit?
    I want to get rid of the tarnish.

Silver polishing cloth?

A quick dip, no more than 15 seconds, in Goddards silver dip from your supermarket will do it, followed by a thorough rinse. It does not leave an irritant residue and most stones will survive this short treatment.

Traditionally you are warned that porous stones such as pearls, coral, turquoise and opal might suffer; also stones which have been waxed or oiled. You can but try where it does not matter, but in my experience a light touch of vegetable oil puts right any whitish appearance when these dry.

Then as Chris has said, a silver polishing cloth will shine up the highlights. It is also beneficial to store items in plastic bags, or drawers with anti-tarnish tabs, or strips (Google them), which work for a year or more. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    ... in Goddards silver dip from your supermarket will do it...
    Depends if it's available in their country. I think you might even have trouble finding spam there due to the pork content.

If you don't have the stones or any organic materials which can not take boiling (amber, pearl, turquoise, etc) you can clean your ss jewelry in old fashioned way in the pot covered with aluminum foil.

I don't boil silver long as some sources recommend. I found out that cleaning works well only at very first minutes, and you don't need to boil water long.

I cover small pot with aluminum foil inside, drop about 2-3 tbs of baking soda and one tbs of salt. I put my tarnished jewelry into, add boiling water. If jewelry is tarnished badly, I leave the pot on the hot stove near boiling temperature for about 2 minutes. If not, the cleaning is usually done while the reaction goes. Then rinse jewelry and then you can polish it how you prefer. Even car wash microfiber polishing cloth will work, or you can use special silver cleaning cloth.

Keep in mind that this method will remove ALL patina, even applied by jeweler. If you have some oxidized ss jewelry, you can not use this method.
    I mostly love it for chains, of plain small beading components.

I also use double cloth similar to this one. Brings super shine to often worn jewelry.
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-998-026
    Last edited by SilverBouillon; 14-03-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    Lana.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Depends if it's available in their country. I think you might even have trouble finding spam there due to the pork content.
    Ah well Peter, you're privy to inside information, but having re-read the label I could not see 'may contain traces of pork'. Dennis.

more pork than horse. I'd lay bets on it.