Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench peg/pin??

Default Bench peg/pin??

Hi,

could you explain in words of few syllables what a bench peg/pin is and exactly what you use it for?

Thank you!

Sarah

you use a bench pin for when you are sawing metal or you can use them to lean your work up against to file your metal, you can buy ones that have a clamp attached so they can fit onto any table. Proper jewellers benches have a hole cut out for the bench pin to sit in but the one with the clamp that i got from Cooksons is perfect. Hope that helps

As previously stated by taylordebs, proper goldsmith's benches will always have a decent bench pin/peg to work on. Here is my bench with my bench pin which slots into the bench, I use the flat side of the bench pin for supporting metals when piercing and turn it over to use the reverse beveled side for filing.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022- Jim's workbench 2009.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	3950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023- Jim's workbench 2009.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	3951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39- Workbench with hammers and tools.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	3952

As taylordebs says, the bench peg is mostly used when sawing or filing items. Some have a notch cut out of the middle which can help to hold items such as rings/bangles etc when tidying up solder joins for example. Mine also makes an excellent arm rest while soldering as I dont have a bench with a cutout I have this one from cooksons.. http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-082 which has an anvil attached to it that I use for hammering things which is useful if you are short of space (although it does mark very easily). The whole thing clamps to your desk meaning you can take it off whenever needed and also makes it easy to change pegs once you have sawed into it for the millionth time and it no longer resembles a twig nevermind a bench peg

Rachael x

Or you can be rebellious like me, and make your own from an offcut of hard wood and a G-clamp. This one was getting to the end of its life and the wood has been replaced since. The tray pulls out to catch what I drop, but if I forget to do that, I'm on my knees with a torch. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Workbench and Drawer.jpg  

Yes I know that feeling, I am the same, grovelling around on hands and knees looking for something 1mm across. That basket is a very good idea, going to copy that idea, hope you havent patented it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Or you can be rebellious like me, and make your own from an offcut of hard wood and a G-clamp. This one was getting to the end of its life and the wood has been replaced since. The tray pulls out to catch what I drop, but if I forget to do that, I'm on my knees with a torch. Dennis.

The drawer is on runners Pat using angled aluminium from B&Q, So as you are interested here is another pic to go with it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Workbench and Drawer.jpg   Workbench Drawer Removed.jpg  

I have some drawer sliders from a wooden filing cabinet, other than that the leather cloth that James has would do the trick. May have a go at that later on.

I did wonder if a cheap welder's apron might do the job as a bench skin.

I would think you could use rexine or what the modern equivalent is, even denim would work. Its not as if you are getting hot things in it.