Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Argentium

Apologies to all for the silence on our replacement for Argentium.
    During June to coincide with British Silver Week and the US jewellery trade show JCK Las Vegas. Cookson will announce launch details of our new tarnish resistant Silver alloy.
    More news will follow after this initial launch including products details and stock dates etc
    Watch this space . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nyc View Post
    I like the metal...but what a con.

Instead of mixing silver with copper to get sterling, they simply use a splash of germanium and then charge a huge premium for the privilege. It shouldn't be any more expensive to produce than sterling, apart from, as far as I can see paying for a marketing organisation who have branded an alloy.

My hope is that at some stage we will be able to buy a 'no tarnish sterling' and the brand 'Argentium' is consigned to history. Perhaps this is the first stage of getting rid of the brand and the organisation and giving us more choice to simply buy sterling silver in a different form.

Well done Cooksons
    I agree with you here,(although i'v enever used argentum)I've looked on ebay to buy some germanium,to make my own tarnish free silver,but it's still not cheap,that way,plus I've got kilos of silver to use up before i can think about using argentum.

Well my breath is well and truly bated, I'm watching this space and it's July now. Any news?

Carol

I'll get you a full update tomorrow...
    But I know our Bullion range should be arriving soon...

Adam H.

We are pleased to announce the launch of our new tarnish resistant silver under the brand Reflections.

Tarnish and fire stain resistant, age hardenable (harder than std silver), not technique sensitive, polishes to a bright white finish and competitively priced

Available from today in sheet (0.3-4mm), grain and wire (round, square, rectangular in various sizes). D shaped wire will be available from this Friday, a range of findings from next week and loose chain from mid August. Other products will become available throughout Q3 & Q4.

Call 08451001122 to place orders or ask any questions you may have. These products will also be available on Cooksongold in the next few days

Rob

How does it work with enamel, does it fuse like Argentium and will the wire ball up beautifully like Argentium? I'm also not sure what you mean by "technique sensitive".

Having been caught out before with Brilliante, it would be really useful if Cooksons were able to send samples to people on here, who could review it honestly for other members. Just a thought.
    Until I'm sure it will do everything I need it to, I think I'll continue to use Argentium.

Hi Caroleallen

Like similar tarnish resistant silver enamelling is not one of it's strengths. Fusing is being tested at the moment, happy to report back on that once we get feedback. I should be able to answer the wire balling question shortly.

By 'not technique sensitive' we mean Reflections silver uses the same processes as standard silver. It can be moved whilst red hot, it can be red quenched and does not require different polishing equipment.

We've had Reflections tested by consumers and the jewellery trade both here and in the US with very favourable results against standard and other tarnish resistant silvers.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'm also not sure what you mean by "technique sensitive".
    I'd have thought its behaviour at red heat might qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I'd have thought its behaviour at red heat might qualify?
    I'm trying to turn being a moron into an art form and I think it's working well. Luckily there are always people who are so much more knowledgable who I can bow to.

Lol - far from it Carole
    My technique is sometimes lacking and I was rather hoping that the new alloy
    might "magically fill gappy joins", still work when I put the wrong solder on the metal
    and be entirely "technique insensitive" to my midnight blunders
    So disappointed to find out it's just how it behaves when "red hot"
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver