Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Mokume gane

Dear Peter,
    there is a gentleman in the US by the name of James Binnion who is very adept at this art, I know he has published on it but I have seen his work through a thing called the Ganoksin project, which is an online jewellers forum that has no real boundaries but many very useful bench work videos, artists galleries etc. You should get in touch with him, he is a metallurgist as well as a very talented artist.
    This is not really a plug for another forum but it is worth looking at.
    Nick

Hi Nick -

I've spoken to Jim a few times; there used to be a Yahoo group for mokume gane, but that is sadly defunct these days. He's another engineer who went into jewellery...

I do read Ganoksin, but I don't post there - I've never been that much of a fan of mailing lists.

That really is a beautiful thing.

I like this topic

Hi everyone

There is an amazing Mokume Gane course at the Birmingham School of Jewellery in July 2010 which I have signed up to, but the course needs just one more person to go ahead. I am posting this here because I desperately want to go so I was wondering if anyone else might like to sign up. If they don't find one more person then I can't go and it's taken me ages to save up the money!

I can't post the detials of the url apparently until I have made 5 posts, but the details on the Birmingham Institute Of Art & Design (BIAD) site, - Short Courses in Jewellery.

You need to click on the PDF (it's not listed directly on the website, but it's 26th-29th July with Alistair McCallum.)

Thanks

Isabella

Today we've just added our first mixed metals to our range, a toe in the water so to speak.
    We would love to know what everyone thinks.. information is a little basic at the moment hope to update tomorrow.

Mokume Gane Sheet in two patterns -
    Mokume Gane Sheet - Silver Sheet | Sterling Sheet Silver - Cookson Gold

Silver sheet sprinkled with palladium -
    Palladium Sprinkled Silver - Silver Sheet | Sterling Sheet Silver - Cookson Gold

Loving the Palladium sheet and nice to see some alternative metals in
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

How much?
    My jaw nearly hit the desk.....

Great thread,
    The end result looks purdy.
    I stayed up to six in the morning watching videos on youtube on mokume gane a while back.
    Then tried a rough version with brass and copper and a torch,it was half stuck together and came out like razors blades.
    Chucked in the experimental pile, then chucked in the bin.
    The trouble trouble with it is you would really have to me sure of what you are doing before you risk mixing gold with silver.I dont see how it could be hallmarked either.
    It appeals to the macho side of me, as it's similar to technique to Damascus steel used in sword making.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun750 View Post
    The trouble trouble with it is you would really have to me sure of what you are doing before you risk mixing gold with silver.I dont see how it could be hallmarked either.
    The Assay Office London recently changed their approach on mixed metals - it's now possible to have mokume with a precious metal content hallmarked. So for silver & copper, as it's obvious that the copper is there, it would bear both the purity for the silver part and "METAL" alongside.

It appeals to the macho side of me, as it's similar to technique to Damascus steel used in sword making.
    Same origins, too. Well, not "Damascus", but Japanese sword steel.

Once you've made your own the price of the commercial stuff doesn't seem so bad; it's not the fusing, it's the subsequent work that the material needs that takes the time.