Thread: reworking antique jewellery

Default reworking antique jewellery

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help me.
    I am very new to soldering and would like to attach a jump rings to convert victorian silver paste brooches (one marked 925 & another 900) into pendants.
    I have tried to attach both silver and gold findings on one and have failed ending up darkening the stones.
    I am using easy silver solder , borax and butane torch. Would solder paste be an easier option?
    Does anyone have any experience in this and can advise best way to to attach jump ring while protecting the paste gems & patina would be a great help.
    Thank you!

Hi Jess
    The stones won’t take the heat and you’ve probably burnt the gold backing at the same time that gave them their vibrancy. They’re usually glued in so I’d remove the stones, solder if they are indeed silver and not plated and replace the stones. If they are just plate then there isn’t much you can do.
    The heat will also burn off any patina and that would need to be redone using liver of sulphur or platinol reading the safety instructions carefully if you haven’t used it before

A simple way out of this is to drill an appropriate hole (about 2mm), and thread and close a jump ring so stout that it does not need soldering.
    6-7 mm diameter made of 1.5mm wire would do.

Alternatively you can buy 6mm silver split rings ( Cooksons have them) and thread them on without stretching them. Dennis

Thanks Dennis , what drill would I need?

Any rotary tool and a twist drill, but if you don't have them, then something like this might do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121927384...HE6qnNwCAAAAAA

That said, I haven't used one myself, so if the result is not smooth enough, finish it with a cheap diamond bead reamer:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256445036...RoC6EIQAvD_BwE

Jewellery making for beginners is all about innovation, until you have the need for something more sophisticated. Dennis.