Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making the best of a mistaken buy

So you are going to set the marquise first ? LOL
    What stone is it?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    So you are going to set the marquise first ? LOL
    What stone is it?
    Yup! I've played with flush setting faceted stones in nuggets and feel reasonably confident (famous last words) with larger round stones so I figured as per your advice a marquise would be a good place to start. I've got one largish (13mm long) smokey quartz and a similar sized pale yellow (not sure what it is). I'll definitely leave the much smaller ones for now, but there's a few garnet marquise in there.

I was only kidding you know, marquise are one of the hardest to set, I just did things that way because that was how they worked out for me.
    The more logical progression would be to do cabs first which I think you have already done? then round faceted stones would be next really as the shape is easier to get right and there are no points to break off when you push over too hard.
    OTOH if you feel like setting the marquise at least they are a good size.
    Down side is they are relatively fragile and thus easy to chip and scratch.
    Have you found Dennis' tip about the blue tac yet? to hold the stone in place while you work the bezel out around it?
    And also about using fine silver for the bezel? it makes life infinitely easier.

Well, I figured if I'm going to try something I might as well make it difficult for myself
    And yep, fine silver is on my list. I will obviously report back whether it's fair or foul.

Yep, you are as bad as me
    Have fun! I probably enjoy stone setting more than anything else now.