Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging silver bangle

Default Enlarging silver bangle

Hi there. I recently made a silver bangle for a client based on a wrist measurement sent to me by her husband, as it was a surprise birthday present. I thought at the time that it seemed a bit small and asked him to recheck the size but, as I have never met them, I just had to trust his abilities. They have now returned the bangle asking me if I can add a piece of extra silver of about 2cm as it is slightly too small for her to get on comfortably. I am a bit anxious about doing it in case the soldered in piece weakens the bangle. It is oval in shape made from 4mm D wire, with the clasp at the front. Please can anyone suggest the best way to do this repair to keep the bangle as strong as possible - solder the new piece into the centre, nearer to one of the sides, use a wider piece of silver, stagger the soldered edges etc. I'm reluctant to renew the whole bangle, but will if it is the only way. Thank you
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Hunter oak leaf bangle.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	6111

If it were me....I would insert a piece at the back. When soldered correctly, the silver becomes bonded as one piece. There shouldn't be any weakness. I would suggest using the next grade solder down from what you used to attach the leaf & acorn.
    Poor you, D is a bit of a pain to work with.
    Lovely bracelet by the way.
    Good luck
    Theresa

Nice bangle! and yeah, I'd add the silver to the part opposite the catch as well.

D wire is such a pain though. If it were me (which means this is probably not the right way to do it!) I'd cut straight down, straighten the wire out at the cut ends and put a right angle bend in the rest. then with all cut ends fluxed have them butting up tight and have some ceramic tiles butted up at the right angles so when it all heats up and expands, it gets pushed inwards.

As with most stuff I attempt, there is usually a better, more efficient and reliable way.

If it was a normal bangle I'd suggest you just stretch it on a bangle stretcher but I think it would probably break it. I haven't got any useful suggestions. Just really wanted to say I love the bangle.

Gorgeous bangle! Adding in a piece to the back has to be the way to go.

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Cow of a problem, lovely bangle. Too good to botch up. If you can get another stone, then keep it for stock and start again. Alternatively replace the whole wire. Dennis.

Thank you everyone. Adding the piece in opposite the catch it is then! I'm fascinated with the idea of using ceramic tiles to add 'weight' to make the soldered part tighter, medusa. I used hard solder for the rest of it, Theresa, so will try medium and keep fingers crossed for a seamless finish. Thank you all for your kind compliments about the bangle too. I was pleased with the way it turned out, so am reluctant to take it all apart again as I worry that it won't look right afterwards!

I didnt see the stone in it so I was going to suggest plastering it with that blue gunk, heatproof paste. I am not sure what Medusa means about the ceramic tiles but I could do with it as I use a lot of James's clamps at the moment and sometimes try and use pliers to hold stuff tight but it doesnt always work, end up picking up the bit and it all falling apart!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Cow of a problem, lovely bangle. Too good to botch up. If you can get another stone, then keep it for stock and start again. Alternatively replace the whole wire. Dennis.
    I know you've already made your decision, but I agree with Dennis. I'd make another one and keep it for stock. Its so gorgeous I'm sure it will sell!
    Jules

Let us know if adding a piece works out. I love the bangle - it's beautiful.