Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging silver bangle

Dennis' idea is probably best actually (both suggestions) but what i meant with the tiles was that as the metal expands with heat, a gap can appear. James' clamps would be too small for this job I think, so what I do if I have something large is try and have it not wedged so much as contained to stop the gap appearing. Tiles work well but I have a very Heath Robinson-ish approach to my work.

yes so have I, and that includes my home as well, if its functional and it looks ok, fine by me

I don't make bangles, but here is a tip for holding a bangle shape while soldering, using some soldering clamps and a steel X piercing. My photos are just an idea of the method I would use as I would take more care keeping the edges straight if it were a job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83 Clamping a bangle shape.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	6119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84 Clamping a bangle shape.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	6120

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 14-05-2014 at 03:01 PM.

It's lovely and because of that I would make another if possible. I think it would probably be less stressful and maybeeven quicker

That's clever James.

Is the "X" made with the titanium strips, it looks a handy bit of kit. May just have to make one of those too.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I don't make bangles, but here is a tip for holding a bangle shape while soldering, using some soldering clamps and a steel X piercing. My photos are just an idea of the method I would use as I would take more care keeping the edges straight if it were a job.

Name:	83 Clamping a bangle shape.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	6119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84 Clamping a bangle shape.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	6120

James

A while back I modified the crossed clip by adding a rivet as a kind of stiff hinge. This allowed me to grip the hoop first and then push the ends together. I hope James will see this as a sincere form of flattery Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms. Crossed Clips In Use After James Miller.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Is the "X" made with the titanium strips, it looks a handy bit of kit. May just have to make one of those too.
    Pat, that was a photo of some of my old stainless steel soldering clamps before I got into using titanium for clamps. I have a few of these X shaped pieces which were used for many supporting jobs when soldering or enamelling.
    The titanium strips are much better than stainless steel and are available from Knew Concepts or in the UK from Tam Savill, see; http://tamizan.co.uk/knew-concept-saws/ ,if you buy a pack of strips to make your own clamp shapes, you can use one of the stock length strips as a support for holding these types of shape when soldering as the solders will not adhere to the titanium, made like my photo shows.
    Or perhaps make one of Dennis's idea of the cross clamps.

Name:	54 Calmps and a strip to hold bangle shapes.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	6122
    James

I bought a load of titanium strips when you said about making clamps with it, so I have a few left. The clamps you posted a picture of back last year have been extremely useful, I use them a lot. You are right they are a lot stronger than the stainless ones (Mark 1!!!) . Never thought about making a flat one, very good idea especially as my soldering blocks are a bit uneven now. Thanks once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Pat, that was a photo of some of my old stainless steel soldering clamps before I got into using titanium for clamps. I have a few of these X shaped pieces which were used for many supporting jobs when soldering or enamelling.
    The titanium strips are much better than stainless steel and are available from Knew Concepts or in the UK from Tam Savill, see; http://tamizan.co.uk/knew-concept-saws/ ,if you buy a pack of strips to make your own clamp shapes, you can use one of the stock length strips as a support for holding these types of shape when soldering as the solders will not adhere to the titanium, made like my photo shows.
    Or perhaps make one of Dennis's idea of the cross clamps.

Name:	54 Calmps and a strip to hold bangle shapes.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	6122
    James
    Awesome! I can do that! I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Lack of lateral thinking I guess?