Thread: How to set a stone in this setting

Default How to set a stone in this setting

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d9bc8ed7-bca9-41e3-b407-5849878f08d7.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	12016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d9bc8ed7-bca9-41e3-b407-5849878f08d7.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	12016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000485_six-prong-diamond-engagement-ring.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	12015Please help! I have a ring and I'm not sure how to set a stone in this particular setting. I'm new in jewellery making and this setting looks fairly unusual to me or old-fasioned. I think I saw similar rings in my childhood but don't remember much how the stone was set. Do you know how to classify this setting and how best to set the stone in it?

Thanks a lot for any advice!
    Last edited by Valerie13; 24-05-2019 at 11:37 PM.

I would describe it as classic prong setting, first you need to measure the diameter of the setting (inside) so as to obtain a stone that will fit, then you cut a seat for the stone which is a bit of a misnomer as is does not sit on the seat
    it is actually clearance for stone, after that you cut the prongs on the inside (a groove/slot) to fit the shape of the girdle, when you have this correct, the stone will sit in place and the pongs can be cut to length and pushed over then finished,
    This is really basic info and I have most likely missed a few things, I would strongly advise watching a video (YouTube) or try to find some one who can show you basics.

Thank you very much for your reply! So, basically it's a classing prong setting then for a faceted stone. I'll try to do what you've said. I thought maybe it's for cabochon or something else...