Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating spring ends - help please

Default Creating spring ends - I've done it!!!

Have I got this right guys??

I'd like to have a go at making my own spring ends with sterling wire.

I am hoping that as I coil the (1mm?) wire round, it will work harden? Then when I put in my thong and press the end of the coil, that it will keep it in place? Would you suggest a dab of glue as well, or should just squishing the end of the coil with my pliers be enough?

Is 1mm wire ok to use for this (I'd like to put 2-3 widths of thong in, so want to create something that looks really stylish), but works.

All tips and hints gratefully received.

Thanks
    Last edited by Petal; 25-09-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Jules

Do you mean like on the ends of this necklace of mine:

necklace6053f on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

On those I used 0.8mm copper and don't glue, just squeeze the last coil into the thong to grip it - I both bend the cut end in so that it snags in, but also contract the whole last loop so that it's tight on the outside too, before it sinks into the thong.

I don't glue (I rarely glue anything) because if I want to shorten it for a customer, I can cut the last half loop off, shorten the PVC and re-attach it. I've done it enough times at craft fairs to not be inclined to glue.
    Last edited by Boo; 25-09-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Spellos!

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Do you mean like on the ends of this necklace of mine:

necklace6053f on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

On those I used 0.8mm copper and don't glue, just squeeze the last coil into the thong to grip it - I both bend the cut end in so that it snags in, but also contract the whole last loop so that it's tight on the outside too, before it sinks into the thong.

I don't glue (I rarely glue anything) because if I want to shorten it for a customer, I can cut the last half loop off, shorten the PVC and re-attach it. I've done it enough times at craft fairs to not be inclined to glue.
    Yes, Boo that's exactly what I want to do. Thanks for the piccie of your thong - its a 1,000 times nicer than the illustration in my book.

You mention bending the cut end in - which end?
    You mention contracting the whole last loop - thats the loop before the one that gets squished, isn't it?

Thanks for the tip about making a longer length, because that way, you can shorten the length, if needed.

Cheeky question - how do you get the two lovely rings on top of the coils, that the hook clasp is attached to? That's so professional and I'd love to make my findings look that good. Its a lot to ask, but is there a vid./drawing where I can work out how to do something similar to yours??

Thanks again.

p.s. I've had another look at your piccie and think I've worked it out. Thanks so much for your help !! I'll post a piccie later - for some constructive honest feedback. thanks.
    Last edited by Petal; 25-09-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Jules

I do have some photos of one at stages being made, as I was going to do a tutorial on them, as every time I make a batch I have to remember which way to turn things. So if you get stuck I can maybe put something quickly together.

By the last coil, I mean the one down the thong, not the one near the clasp - I gradually tighten the last coil around the thong by working round the circumference tightening a little at a time, so it has a slightly narrower diameter than those above it and then squeeze the cut end into the thong itself to finally grip in.

I make them off-thong the right diameter and slip them over the end, you can't wrap them round that consistently circular.
    Last edited by Boo; 25-09-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: More damn spellos - more haste less speed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post

I make them off-thong the right diameter and slip them over the end, you can't wrap them round that consistently circular.
    So that's you do it. I am constantly amazed by the eveness of your wrapping.
    Di x

Oh one thing I forgot to ask, how much length of wire do you use? or is that a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question.

Yes, I think like you I'll take piccies of processes, as I do have a habit of forgetting how to do things. Ah thanks for offering to put something together for me - that's really kind. But only if you've got time, 'cos I know how busy we all are.

Sorry about taking so long to reply - I got 'hijacked' into helping out muminlaw with some sewing help.

Cheers v much
    Jules

I think these thong ends are the only thing I coil first, most wire wrapping is done on the piece. I always wrap with pliers, I don't think you have the strength and control in your fingers to hand hold it - and whenever someone is having problems with wrapping, it transpires they've been trying to do it with their fingers.

I make them straight off the length of wire, I don't cut it first, so I'm not sure how much it uses - although crunching some numbers, I'd guess around 5" each for the ones in the photo. I start from the end away from the clasp, coil until I have the length I want, about 8 rounds, then cut it the right length to make the double loop on top and finish from there.

I'll look at the photos later for you, we only finally decided yesterday to go on holiday after all, so I'm trying to get through various work that needs finishing and a monster pile of laundry and ironing. The photos are in an unfinished state and, I hope, saved on an external drive. So I'll have to come back to it, I'm not at my desk at the moment.

But I'll do something for you.

Dont worry about it Boo. You've given me loads of info to work with and I now understand how I'm going to tackle it. Go on holiday and have a good rest. I've got enough stock for my up-coming stall, so no need for me to panic. I always have a 'I haven't got enough stock' panic before a show and then its usually fine.

Have a lovely time.
    Jules

Yipee, I've done it. Thanks SO MUCH Boo for all your help - its made a huge difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1297.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	311

The first one I made is on the left - awful.

The second attempt is on the right, much better. The other 'thing' is my first S connector. Pretty awful, but not made for a first attempt.

Cheers guys.
    Jules

ooh, nice. That Boo's a goodun!
    Di x