Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating spring ends - help please

This is a quick post and dash - I won't get chance to write it up properly, I started a page on my tutorial site, but it was going to take more time fiddling than I have just now. I've prepared the photos ready though, so I'll post them - it should be fairly self-explanatory. I can only post 4 images, so I'll have to do it in 2 parts.

Make your initial coil and cut off the wire with a good inch or so remaining - enough to make two full turns of the wire. Start coiling it back towards the main coil - keeping the coils the same side of the wire as the original coil - that's the bit I always struggle to remember and when you do it the wrong way, it doesn't sit as well:

When you have your 2 full turns you should be back against the original coil. Start twisting it round - rotating it in the same direction as you did the turns in the wire, but now bringing those two loops on top of the original coil.

Carry on rotating and twisting it so that it tightens up and sits perpendicular to the original coil - sitting nicely on top of it in the centre:

Give it a little final twist to tighten all the gaps - you can see a little daylight under the pliers where there's still some slack, another part turn will close that up tight.
    Last edited by Boo; 25-09-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Splitting the posts in a better place

Part 2:

If your length of wire was right when you cut it, the cut end should just nestle in the hollow top of the original coil, out of the way - this one is a few mm short ideally. I'd normally trim it flush at both ends to finish.

This is why you need to coil it the right side of the wire, to get a nice neat twist like this, done the other way, doesn't sit neatly:

Last edited by Boo; 25-09-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Just fiddling!

Boo, you are a bloody marvel. Now go on holiday!
    Di x

bloody hell, how do you people all get so knowledgeable
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Necessity is the mother of invention. I couldn't find a tutorial to make them, so I had to figure it out myself. It took a pile of failed ones before I got the right action. It's very easy and certainly when you see if illustrated like that. But I probably made 20 before I was happy with the exact technique and could replicate it reliably. Hence I took photos last time I made a batch so I could do a tutorial.

Unxxxbelievable! Absolutely marvelicious Boo ! You're an absolute gem

That's why it wouldn't sit right! uuuuum, I'll have to use my round nose pliers until I get the ones in the piccie - they are perfect for the job! Now get packing and have a lovely holiday and tell us all about it when you get back.

Lots of Love
    Jules

Those pliers are a neat bit of kit...where do they come from...? I've had a quick look on 'the site' but can't find them...

I think the P word do them
    Di x

Think I'll have to go for a 'P' then!!

I had to go back into my previous orders to find them as I couldn't remember their name:

Multi-sized Looping Pliers - Cooksongold.com

The sections aren't as reliably and consistently round as I'd like, they're a bit roughly shaped, but I still use them a great deal.