Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stacking rings

Default Stacking rings

Hi everyone,
    I want to make some silver stacking rings that I can personalise. I want each one to be approximately 1mm thick and no more than 2mm wide. Unless i am missing a trick I cant see any wire on cooksongold that fits these dimensions within the rectangular wire range. Sheet metal can only be cut to a minimum of 3mm so cant use this.
    How do other people make thin stacking rings? Do you buy from another supplier?

The only option on cooksongold I can see would be 1.5mm silver round wire but ideally I wanted a less chunky ring.

Emma

Depends on you ability, experience and the tools you have, you could hammer the round wire flat and file to size, it is possible to cut 2mm strips with a piercing saw, fairly obvious you don't have a rolling mill
    you could cut strips with a good pair of snips followed by hammer and file, or change the dimensions and use 3mm wire

Thankyou for such a quick response.
    I did consider what you are saying and might try buying some sheet and cutting down.
    I just assumed as stacking rings are become so popular there would be thinner wire available to make them .

Thanks for your advice

Yes I know what you mean it seems sometimes what the suppliers deem as popular differs quite a lot from the people who actually use it

I saw that too although I assumed it would be too soft for stacking rings

Bellore Rashbel do it in Sterling https://www.rashbel.co.uk/Silver-wir...at-925-8002893

You've got some good answers to be getting on with Emma.
    But if you have access to a rolling mill, you can also make your own version by gently rolling down 1.50mm round wire, with the advantage of lovely soft edges, which won't need filing.
    If it ends up slightly wonky, you can anneal and stretch it to straighten it again. Dennis.

Thankyou everyone this is all really useful I dont have access to a rolling mill sadly.
    Caroline I did see the fine silver in exactly the size I want but does anyone know if this would be suitable for rings or would it be too soft?? The description says it's good for repair work enameling, or wire wrapping but doesnt mention rings like most of the others do.

Angnc yes this is exactly what I want!!! Thabkyou. Although the picture doesn't look right but assuming it's a general photo. Have you used this company before?

Thankyou so much everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Emmas View Post
    Thankyou everyone this is all really useful I dont have access to a rolling mill sadly.
    Caroline I did see the fine silver in exactly the size I want but does anyone know if this would be suitable for rings or would it be too soft?? The description says it's good for repair work enameling, or wire wrapping but doesnt mention rings like most of the others do.

Angnc yes this is exactly what I want!!! Thabkyou. Although the picture doesn't look right but assuming it's a general photo. Have you used this company before?

Thankyou so much everyone
    Oops sorry I didn’t notice it was fine silver! I’m sure I’ve had that width in sterling in the past