Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micro motor question

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

You can also consider saving £££ by adapting a cheap vibrating engraver to do this, simply by reversing the point and shaping it to suit. You can use 3.50mm rod, or the stem of a drill bit to make more shapes.
    You've just reminded me that I bought a cheap engraver to try this out and still haven't played with it. Must remedy that.

So I am happy to say that apart from the infernal noise it makes, I have modified my engraver and it is now a setters hammer and it is perfect. I have rounded off the point and polished it to a shine because I will never use it for engraving and now can set a stone in seconds. I have not as of yet completed the electrical modification as you suggested Dennis, I am too busy with assignments right now, that can come when I am not as busy.
    Thanks!!
    Les
    Poor old Les

Thank you for the feedback, Les. I am always afraid of leading people astray.
    Now we only have to choose between the painful noise (slightly improved with modification) and the painful price of a more sophisticated one.

I should also mention, that the stems of a cheap 3.00mm drill bits from your local ironmonger will provide you with material for alternative points. They can be annealed for cutting and hammering and don't have to be re-hardened. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-06-2019 at 09:16 PM.