Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micro motor question

Default Micro motor question

Hi all,
    I appreciate this topic has been done to death on the forum I lost many hours last night using the search function. However, I do have a very specific question. Would one of the look-a-likey 100Euro micro motors be suitable to take a hammer hand piece? I know a number of members have these and they serve a purpose, it would only be required for setting.
    Thanks
    Les
    Poor old Les

Hi Les, I have been unable to find that micromotor on line in UK, so all I can say is that if they sell a hammer handpiece for it you can be fairly confident it will work.

You can also consider saving £££ by adapting a cheap vibrating engraver to do this, simply by reversing the point and shaping it to suit. You can use 3.50mm rod, or the stem of a drill bit to make more shapes.

My picture shows the Dremel, which is still a bit fierce even at its lowest setting, so I inserted an in-line dimmer switch for a standard lamp to reduce it further. Regards,Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dremel Engraver As Setting Tool.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6DD603B7-E25A-4E58-A02A-78CB1277B502.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	12002
    Don’t know if you can actually read this screenshot Les. It came up on the British Jewellers page on Fb which I don’t think you do. Marathon or an even cheaper Chinese equivelant which I can get the details of if you’re interested and can’t read this.
    Took out some of the points

Marathon N8
    Or the Shiyang N8 which is the Chinese copy, essentially made in the same factory. It has pressure sensitivity which means if you press hard enough to slow it down, it ups the power to compensate.
    They also have a protection cutout if pushing the handpiece too hard.
    All the handpieces, weather actually Marathon or copy are pretty much interchangeable and come with tools for taking apart for maintenance and spare motor brushes for when they might wear out.
    Chiyoda Hans Engine C-33, they are expensive but a superb Tool, I have six of them.never had a problem.
    Last edited by CJ57; 14-05-2019 at 07:05 PM.

What is it you have six of, Caroline?

Oh not me Dennis, i was taking it out of the a post on the British Jewellers page on Fb . A chiyoda hans engine c 33. I’m not sure why he has 6 of them, he either has a big workshop or a lot of hands!

Thanks Dennis & Caroline, good feedback there. So Dennis you modified your engraver by cutting the power cable and inserting a dimmer switch to slow the motor down further? That's worth a try.
    Poor old Les

Yes, but you need not do it straight away. Try it as it is first. Let us know what you think too. Dennis.

I’ll sell you my Dremel if you want , I couldn’t stand the noise and it’s still in its box. Mind you the postage would probably be as much as the price from amazon!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ll sell you my Dremel if you want , I couldn’t stand the noise and it’s still in its box. Mind you the postage would probably be as much as the price from amazon!
    Thanks Caroline, I think I even have one somewhere in the attic of my workshop...I need to go check it out, do some modification and let you all know the result. thanks guys.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You can also consider saving £££ by adapting a cheap vibrating engraver to do this, simply by reversing the point and shaping it to suit. You can use 3.50mm rod, or the stem of a drill bit to make more shapes.

My picture shows the Dremel, which is still a bit fierce even at its lowest setting, so I inserted an in-line dimmer switch for a standard lamp to reduce it further. Regards,Dennis
    Dennis , you are as always a FIND for everyone!!!!! I am curious now abt using Dremel, I am not good at modifying tools though.... would dremel engraver work as hammer piece without dimmer switch? or any other machine? I have marathon micro motor but I do not think it has engraving function... , at mom not keen to buy expensive equipment too...