Thread: Piercing saw.

Default Piercing saw.

Hi,

I really enjoy piercing, though need to improve at it, but I really like, and would like to be able to do some quite intricate pieces. Have attached a picture (please ignore the design/piece as it was one that went a bit wrong, had to cut it down and solder it on to back piece so not what was intended) but the piercing part itself you can see was as intended, made a couple of errors, the widest part is about 1mm thick and would really like to be able to do finer and more precise work. I have read quite a lot of posts on it on here and have seen the Knew concepts saw mentioned a lot and wondered if it really makes any difference, than just your bog standard budget saw? I have a birthday coming up and my Mum and Dad have very generously offered to buy it for me. Just want to be sure if they are spending all that money that it's really worth it?

Thanks,

Karen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0326.jpg  

It's hard to advise you because ultimately it depends on the skill of he operator, the quality of the saw blades and lastly on the saw frame, in that order.

When I took up jewellery making as a retirement hobby, twenty five years ago, there was a second hand tool shop, with a large jewellers' section in Islington , London. I bought a used saw frame there and it has suited me fine.

When the Knew concept saw first came out, I bought one out of curiosity, but was soon disillusioned with it.

Recently I mislaid my precious frame at home and though I knew it had to turn up eventually, I bought the Cookson 999 737 to tide me over. The difference was apparent immediately, in the increase weight, which required more control and in the rigidity which made tensioning more difficult

It is possible that the Knew saws have been improved since, but if I were starting now, I would consider the Green Lion 9993322, which has been recommended by members here.

I can also recommend the multi-purpose bench peg 997 1661 for supporting small intricate pieces when piercing.

As for saw frames, you can try them and return them if you follow Cookson's returns policy. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Trusty Retro Saw..jpg  

I haven’t used my eclipse frame in ages because it’s heavy but sometimes my sawing is completely rubbish with the knew concept and other times it’s fine. It’s really the skill of the user and in my case what sort of day I’m having. I would improve my skills with practice before spending on an expensive frame

When I watch films of people using a piercing saw, such as when we watch the repair shop, I usually comment to my wife that the piercing would be much better if they raised the height of the bench peg so that the piercing was closer to their eyeline, also when I pierce I mostly pierce across my bench peg holding the saw frame at right angles to my eyes. I rarely pierce away from my face length ways along the bench peg. I was taught that it was better to see where the blade is going, rather than where it has been. As I have got older, I must admit that I like the light weight of the Knew Concept saw frames, especially the deeper frames. As for the Green Lion frame, as a long time saw frame user, I cannot see the benefit of buying a saw frame that has a curved frame as it would limit the depth of use on piercing on a larger sheet, if you use the whole length of saw blade as I do mostly. I use my 5 inch deep Knew Concept frame mostly these days as a 73 year old goldsmith.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	224 Ti Knew Concepts sawframe.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	11998
    James

I've been sawing more intricate pieces lately and use my eclipse frame the most, with really fine blades, even if I'm sawing thick sheet. I found when using the right blade for the thickness meant I spent more time filing and finishing, whereas with the finer blade, it was a neater finish. The KC is used when I have larger sheets to work from and I love its lightness. I also pierce in the way James recommends and its much easier to see where you are going, than where you have been!

Thanks for the multipurpose benchpeg recommendation Dennis, I'll give one of those a go.
    Last edited by Petal; 12-05-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Jules

Thanks very much everyone. I wonder if I need to keep plodding on. Thanks Dennis will look at that bench peg as need a new one, there isn't a lot of a V left to mine anymore which probably doesn't help. The saw I have is the one you linked to, but I mostly use the 3inch, I find when I switch to the 5 inch that it feels a little off balance but maybe that is because I am used to using the smaller saw!?

Thanks James, I think I probably need to lower my seat a little, well need to find one that lowers so am closer to my bench peg. I do usually saw the way you are suggesting but always thought that was wrong as everything I read up on says to go straight in front of you. I also find I am turning the blade rather than the work, (I don't really have a problem snapping blades regularly) which is just a habit I have gotten into over the years and find do it the other way very awkward, but will persevere.

Will have a play with different blades too.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Animalnutty; 12-05-2019 at 06:18 PM.