Thread: Chain oval cufflinks

Default Chain oval cufflinks

Fair warning that I am not a jeweller but have engaged one to make these for me. Unfortunately chain cufflinks are unknown here in the States so we're both rather ignorant.

Might someone be able to suggest specs for the chain and loops for making traditional double oval chain cufflinks from heavy 1.50mm oval blanks like YLA 019?

I believe the chain should be five links and total about 15mm. While Cookson sell readymade chain (e.g. NNU 501), the examples I see online appear to have larger and thicker links, which I think is aesthetically preferable in addition to being sturdier:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18ct-WG-cufflinks-9765-510x600.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	12000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heavy_chains (1).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	12001

My guess would be somewhere on the order of 4 to 4.5 mm rings made from 1mm or 1.2mm wire?

The pair in front of me have four links plus the rings on the back the links are appr. 3mm x 5mm 18 mm length from 1mm stock,

If you have engaged a jeweller, then they should have no trouble making some jump rings for a simple chain. This would enable them to use say 0.7mm wire and stretch them slightly to render them oval. It would be difficult to source this ready made.

However it is also possible to use a bar, either fixed or articulated, so making the construction simpler. Dennis.