Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excess solder

Default Excess solder

Hi. Quick question from a beginner.

I have created a silver dome. Cut a slit in it and soldered a semi circle and silver ball through it. I now have visible excess solder in the base of the dome.

How would I remove this. I have tried with various grades of sand paper and a bristle brush with tripoli using a Dremel. I think I need something quite pointed?

It is quite a fiddly space. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A photo would be good so that we can see what the problem is but solder in a dome area is a bit of a problem to get out. It won’t polish out but has to be removed

It's quite difficult to visualise your problem but if you have used too much solder, it might be possible to remove some with a small round burr used very lightly and persistently. Then reheating the piece would cause the solder to flow to a smooth finish.

As very little is lost, you might also start again, first practising with copper, which is much cheaper, to see just how little solder is required. Dennis.

I was thinking of reheating and trying to move the solder. I would be quite happy to finish in a brushed rather than polished finish.

I was wondering if a cleaning powder like bar keepers friend or cif would work with a cotton bud?! I would be able to access it with that.

You could try reheating with plenty flux and a pick and try to move it. A kitchen cleaning powder won’t move solder. If grades or sand paper won’t shift it then if etc is only slightly abrasive.

Thanks.
    So I would flux the whole piece. Heat till solder flows and move it towards the joint with a pic? Sand paper would work if I could get to it. But can’t figure how to get a curved small sandpaper ball end.

Or could I use a diamond riffler file? We have some small curved ones that would reach but not really sure about their use.

I would try moving it first. The small burr Dennis mentioned might work or glue a tiny bit of sandpaper to end of something that will fit the space if you haven’t been able to move it. We are still guessing at this without being able to see how bad it is or where. You should be able to post a pic now

You could try the riffler and then a finer sandpaper but be careful. I’m assuming that the pic is scaled up and you can’t get your fingers in?You might be able to move the worst of that with resoldering and a pick. Try and get it immobile on the hearth and quickly take the pick through and along the seam, that looks a lot of solder, you might not be able to recover it cleanly enough and it’s a lesson learnt. It’s better to use less solder and then add more if you need it, much harder to remove