Thread: Copper Bezel Making

Default Copper Bezel Making

Hi,

I’m trying to soldier bezel edges on its base but for some reason the soldier won’t flow.

I’m using 0.5 copper for both edges and base, with a medium soldier (silver).

I’ve used the same soldier to soldier the edges/border/surrounding for the bezel together and on couple of other copper rings and it worked just fine.

I’ve tried everything, including heating the base from the bottom, making sure the metal is clean, flux is not contaminated and applied correctly but the soldier still won’t flow. Although as soon as I place the solider on the heat block it would melt.

Any ideas what am I doing wrong? I just had a very frustrating day!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If every thing is clean, and you are using the same solder and flux, then the most likely reason is that your piece has become too big for your mini torch and is just not getting hot enough for your solder to flow.

The real remedy is to think about a larger torch, or using two mini torches, one in each hand, to double the heat output. Alternatively you can change to easy, or even extra easy solder. Both are good with copper.

Of course it does happen sometimes that you unknowingly pick up a strip of metal and it is not solder at all.
    Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If every thing is clean, and you are using the same solder and flux, then the most likely reason is that your piece has become too big for your mini torch and is just not getting hot enough for your solder to flow.

The real remedy is to think about a larger torch, or using two mini torches, one in each hand, to double the heat output. Alternatively you can change to easy, or even extra easy solder. Both are good with copper.

Of course it does happen sometimes that you unknowingly pick up a strip of metal and it is not solder at all.
    Dennis.
    Hi Denis, I think you’re right. The blow torch I’m using is tiny and the piece gets oxidised before the solder is melted. I’m looking to get Dremel blow torch. Do you think this will work?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dremel-f0...SABEgL0U_D_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure and you might find that it is no better than what you have already. That said you could then use two together.
    The heat output is related to the diameter of the burner, not the temperature of the flame.
    Have a look here: https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9439