Thread: color blindness or mixed gold delivery

Default color blindness or mixed gold delivery

Good day, please if I may ask , I want some advise what to do. I have bought some casting grains 14ct yellow gold from cooksons in 2go's . First I have bought 3 grs and realized that I need 4 more grains , so I went to counter in hatton garden last week and asked 1gramm more. 14ct yellow gold . They sold me as 14 ct yellow gold . even invoice on yellow gold and on the package it's yellow. when I have finished my earrings they are clearly slightly different in colour . one is bright yellow and the other one is pinkish.... .. Feeling lost and puzzled...what shall I do now.. is it possible that when you buy yellow gold grains they need to be melted and mixed to give same colour... I was fusing grains so maybe my error is there? I attach pictures here.. sorry not best quality and apologies for my ear... but I feel difference in shade is best vsible there..... I am terrible at that.. but still I think difference in colour is visible i'ts not terrible difference but one is paler yellow ... I could not have contaminated it as I was not working with anything else and it's straight forward fusing. I hope carat wise they will be same.... I guess I will only know after I send it for hallmarking... MAybe someone had similar situation before? Tx
    Anna

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7243.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	11989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7268.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	11990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7287.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	11991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7288.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	11992
    Last edited by Ankolosova; 05-05-2019 at 03:49 PM.

You dont have samples of the two deliveries to compare now Anna, but it is probable that they looked the same and the difference in colour occurred in the heating or pickling.

An example might be heating the first for much longer, so burning away some copper, or retrieving the second earring from pickle with steel tweezers, so turning it slightly pink.

That said, the difference is not striking in your photographs and comparison is unlikely when they are being worn.
    I like the effect by the way and the strong style. Dennis.

Dennis, many thanks for explanation. it's clear now... I had a burr broken in the pink earring and I was putting it into pickling solution to get it out... then I have drilled it out... I guess effect stayed... will see what other methods are there... for the future... it's not a striking difference but at least I know now that I am not mad... or colourblind! Thank you again!"" and tx for comment on design too!!! ;-)I really enjoyed playing with those... fusing seems my favorite connection for the moment...