Hi everyone,

I run a small jewellery business - just me in my home studio. I always send my UK destined items by Royal Mail Next Day Special Delivery, and always insure them fully.

Well, a couple of weeks ago one of my handmade necklaces did not make it to their owner. According to tracking, it never even left the post office. I filed a claim with all of the relevant proof of purchase and value, but received a response today saying that they will not refund me in full - they will only refund the 'roof cost' of the item, and that I need to provide proof of this to receive any sort of reimbursement.

First of all, I don't know how I can prove this, given that the cost of the item, £150, is based on material costs and my wages. It's not like I'm a multi-million £ brand buying items for £1 from a factory in China and selling on for loads more.

I also don't understand why I shouldn't be reimbursed fully, given that I paid extra for the item to be insured up to £150. Say that you sent a photo that was sentimentally valuable to you and you insured it up to £1000 but they lost it. Monetarily it might be worth nothing to everyone else, but that person paid the insurance because to them it was invaluable.

Anyway, I've been trying to sort this out and have had to make another necklace for my customer who still really wanted it.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before, and also if anyone can advise a more reliable courier? When I pay for tracked and signed next day delivery, I expect the item to arrive safely and to not have to go through this kind of thing. It has been very stressful.

Any advice much appreciated, thank you.