Thread: Is it possible for a jeweller to sort out my engagement ring?

Default Is it possible for a jeweller to sort out my engagement ring?

Finally got around to booking our wedding yesterday. It's in 5 weeks time. Before this, I'd like my engagement ring replated (white gold) but there's a problem......

Since the ring has been on my finger I've gained a lot of weight and it's stuck. Nothing will remove it apart from cutting it off, meaning that it would need a new shank in a bigger size. I'm not sure if this is possible with the way the stones are set though so would anyone mind giving me some advice as to whether it's possible if I post some photos or if I should try to get it remodelled somehow?

Pictures would be useful. Depends entirely on the settings as to how readily the shank can be enlarged.

Pic:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSX_20190426_122022.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	11979
    (not sure if this will work so bear with me)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSX_20190426_122443.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	11980
    Last edited by poppymoon; 26-04-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Looks doable. The trick is not moving the setting while reshaping the shank. I'd laser it, personally.

Feeling a bit relieved that it's doable. Problem is finding somewhere to get it done.

Any ideas? Midlands based.

I can do it if you're happy posting it (I'd advocate RMSD).

In the mean time try this when you finger is at its thinnest: https://www.google.com/search?client...ht+finger+ring Dennis.

Already tried that Dennis. Only gained a very throbby finger. I have gained a lot of weight due to my love of food but also have to take medication to deal with a stupid brain tumour thing that seems to cause a lot of bloating.

Thank you Peter. Could you message me an approx cost and timescale for it please? If it's really high I'd rather have another one and maybe have these little stones made into something else in the future.

As an aside, is it true that I really shouldn't wear platinum or palladium next to 18ct as it will wear it away?