Thread: mixing gold in one design question

Default mixing gold in one design question

good day! So after long holidays and been away I am back and have lot's to do ... I am doing now 14 ct stud earrings from yellow gold with rough diamonds. I have found solder 14 ct solder wich is ok... but seems cooksons do not have 14 ct studs in stock till June!!!! my Q is if I use 18ct studs would they not affect 14 ct marking? is it logical to mix metal that way ... ofc I understand that studs and back will be of better quality but if they will be for design as a piece...? This will be my 1st item ever I will do for sale ( if I am lucky ofc and someone buys it) so I do not want to mess up on it... also maybe I would be better off to learn patience and wait till June? ..I am impatient by nature....:-( or any other places to get 14 ct studs with backs. Many thanks.

Dear Anna,
    I have read your post several times, but am still not sure that I have the question right:
    I understand that you can only buy 18ct ready made studs at present. If so why not buy 18ct scrolls, but where does the solder come in?

You might also wish to know that it is more economical to buy gold solder as wire, because that can be ordered by the millimetre.

If Cookson don't have everything you want, have a look at https://www.eurofindings.com/ You will have to register, but say you are a designer/maker and give your Cookson a/c number as proof. Regards, Dennis.

Plenty of other places to buy findings
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Dear Anna,
    I have read your post several times, but am still not sure that I have the question right:......
    Thank you Dennis , sorry I feel I was confusing.... My question was more not abt where to find findings, but if it is ok to use higher grade metal for the design if you do not have findings of original grade..... ( do people do that or not). I understand item would be graded by lower grade still but then higher metal would go in price,.... sounds not totally economical but......

to be honest at the end I have found findings I needed via cooksons Birmingham.... so all is sorted. but for my future knowledge would be interesting to know...

Hi Anna,
    Yes you can mix carats, but as you say, it will be hallmarked with the lower carat, so not very cost effective for the client. By going a little further afield you can usually find what is needed. Dennis.