Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Bench

Default Work Bench

Hello!

I finally found some place in our house to put my bench. I cleared our utility room, painted walls, changed the flooring and built my work bench.

And here’s how it looks. Everything is on my desk, and I’m using our garden chair so still needs organisation. Although I got most tools to get me started so very excited!

I only just started making jewellery so it’s all very new to me! What do you guys think?

I have goggles, mask and gloves etc but still need to do something about the ventilation! Currently I just open the patio door to let all the fumes out etc. I don’t do a lot so there’s hardly anything but I’m pregnant so a bit extra cautious.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rawhide hammer, check. Torch, check. pickle, check. Coffee, check!
    Brilliant set up!!
    Me? Clear the kitchen table, get out the toolbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Ianfs View Post
    Rawhide hammer, check. Torch, check. pickle, check. Coffee, check!
    Brilliant set up!!
    Me? Clear the kitchen table, get out the toolbox...
    Thank you! That’s very sweet of you! I’m jealous, I wish I was more like you and just get on with it lol xx

Cor, aint it tidy. Makes me feel nostalgic, because that's how I started too. Missing? A torch so that you can find a little component that flicked into the push chair.
    Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Cor, aint it tidy. Makes me feel nostalgic, because that's how I started too. Missing? A torch so that you can find a little component that flicked into the push chair.
    Regards, Dennis.
    Hi Dennis, ha ha I’ll put another pic after a few months and a bit work then.

I’m just working on making some rings and noticed the mandrel I ordered is not fully rounded. I’ve attached a photo.

I don’t want to get another mandrel if I don’t have to, so what can I do to shape the rings round, any suggestions?

Hi, getting nicely set up there. Yes you'll need a plain mandrel, steel, for forming on. The one you've got is handy as a size guide once you're rounding your ring up but isn't for using to shape on.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Hi, getting nicely set up there. Yes you'll need a plain mandrel, steel, for forming on. The one you've got is handy as a size guide once you're rounding your ring up but isn't for using to shape on.
    Thank you Misspond, the product was listed for forming, hammering and ring sizing and I didn’t pay too much attention either, just read the description and ordered one. I wanted a round mandrel for forming with sizes on it and this looked perfect. Oh well lessons learned for next time I guess.

Well, even if you had a steel mandrel with sizes on you still can't use it for hammering your ring true because you get marks on the inside of the ring from the sizes on the mandrel. So you'd still need a plain one. If you look on the bright side you've now got a mandrel you can check sizes on AND you can make rings with a C shaped shank and a flat backplate rather than always having a fully o shaped ring! In fact I recently picked up one like yours to do exactly that. You do realise that what you've actually started is a minor tool addiction?

If I understand you to mean that this sort of ring stick might accommodate D-shaped rings (sort of), the readings will still not correspond to round ring sizers. For that you would need D-shaped sizers and there is no such thing unless you make some yourself. Dennis.

Lovely as it is and unless it’s a beautifully hand painted floor and not a rug , you’ll spend endless time looking for things that you’ve dropped so Lino or wood would be easier. And a dark colour would be even better but I’d need to move everything out to paint mine!