Thread: Hallmarking worry

Default Hallmarking worry

Hello everyone,

So I made this beautiful 18ct white gold and diamond wedding ring for a friend, it’s polished rhodium plated, all finished. So I was just about to send it off for hallmarking when I got a call from the hallmarking office to say another 18ct white ring I had sent in the previous week had silver solder on it and couldn’t be hallmarked..

I was shocked, I had used 18ct white paste.

When I looked at the paste it seems Cookson’s have sent me silver rather then 18ct and must have messed up the order, I didn’t think to look at it when it came because they have never messed up an order for me.
    Problem is, I have used a tiny dot of this solder on this new £800 ring which was designed and cast bespokly, I only have that setting and then it’s gone.

Luckily it’s not been sent off yet, but is there a way I can get rid of the silver solder without having to destroy my work?
    I worked so hard on this ring, I am really happy with it, this has ruined everything for me. I know il have to get it replated too if I file where the solder was, but I don’t know if simple filing will sort the problem or not.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you

If Cooksons supplied the wrong solder they are liable in law for all the consequences and will have to pay up to remedy (It's called consequential loss in law)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

If you are selling it and it has multiple solder joints, it can only be re-made from scratch, sad though it is. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 18-04-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If you are selling it and it has multiple solder joints, it can only be re-made from scratch, sad though it is. Dennis.
    Thank you Dennis I worried that would be the case.
    ItÂ’s just the joint between the shank and the setting but I presume it will still cause issues iv filed off as much of the solder as possible and resoldered with white gold but I donÂ’t know if this will remedy the issue. Thanks for your advice x

I would send it and see what happens if you have cleaned up as much as possible , if you have to redo it you have to redo it anyway. I would always rhodium last thing even if your lasering the hallmark all that posting/handling etc will mess stuff up

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Hello everyone,

So I made this beautiful 18ct white gold and diamond wedding ring for a friend, it’s polished rhodium plated, all finished. So I was just about to send it off for hallmarking when I got a call from the hallmarking office to say another 18ct white ring I had sent in the previous week had silver solder on it and couldn’t be hallmarked..

I was shocked, I had used 18ct white paste.

When I looked at the paste it seems Cookson’s have sent me silver rather then 18ct and must have messed up the order, I didn’t think to look at it when it came because they have never messed up an order for me.
    Problem is, I have used a tiny dot of this solder on this new £800 ring which was designed and cast bespokly, I only have that setting and then it’s gone.

Luckily it’s not been sent off yet, but is there a way I can get rid of the silver solder without having to destroy my work?
    I worked so hard on this ring, I am really happy with it, this has ruined everything for me. I know il have to get it replated too if I file where the solder was, but I don’t know if simple filing will sort the problem or not.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you
    Just stumble upon your post, and I’m so gutted for you! I hope you sorted it, without undoing all your work again x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk