Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quirky little piece.

Default Quirky little piece.

Hi,

I've just done this new piece. Quite pleased with it and someone wants it straight away. After quite a long break from selling anything I am starting back part time to make to sell which I am excited about and lucky that people seem to like the pieces that I am making (though I can always see the room for improvement) I am going to do this one again as it's not perfect.

I was always pretty slow at making and everything is done the long way around, for example all texturing is done with hammers and bits and pieces I can find which usually involves quite a bit of clean up on the back of a piece. However I am slower now due to a) having had time off and b) still recovering from health problems but getting there and know as I start doing more my speed will improve a little (I hope). I am curious to know how long would a piece like this take people to make - I know it will vary as everyone works at different speeds but really just interested to compare? If it makes any difference to know it is 6cm across, butterfly is about 1cm or just under. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0446.jpg  

About 2-3 hours karen. You have a good eye for design and the time taken is somehow irrelevant when your results are so beautiful.
    Without wishing to give offence, I do have a reservation and I have felt that in silence for some time: I think your handmade work is totally let down by that commercial looking curb chain, as worn by bikers. Please consider, Snake, Prince of Wales rope, Figaro, or almost anything else more neutral.
    I hope we can still be friends, Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Bless you, thank you so much. How could I possibly take offence with such a lovely compliment (not that I would anyway as am here to learn from those with far more experience than I) will definitely take what you say on board and have a play with other chains.

Blimey, I am slow, with breaks that probably took me nearly a day to make.

Thank you once again for taking the time to reply.

Karen

You will probably also have to use chain ends. Cookson have a good selection and you just have to practice melting a bit of easy solder inside, clamping or sliding them onto the chain and gently re-heating. Or you can use paste, of course. Dennis.

I think that's very pretty indeed - though I have to agree with Dennis about the chain. You have a lovely touch with these quirky little pieces!

What they all said above

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You will probably also have to use chain ends. Cookson have a good selection and you just have to practice melting a bit of easy solder inside, clamping or sliding them onto the chain and gently re-heating. Or you can use paste, of course. Dennis.
    Thanks, will have a look at those. Have had a quick look at chains and quite like Figaro, so will get some of that to see what it looks like with a piece.

I've been making another of the above today and so far spent just over three hours on it and think I probably have another hour and a half work to do. I found the making of the butterfly and trying to polish the little individual wings before soldering really fiddly. Pesky clumsy hands.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I think that's very pretty indeed - though I have to agree with Dennis about the chain. You have a lovely touch with these quirky little pieces!
    Thank you very much Definitely going to try some different chain, I think the Figaro is the one that most appeals out of the ones I had a quick glance at, but will get a sample of a few, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    What they all said above
    Thank you China, looks like I have definitely been using the wrong chain. I think I just started with that and never deviated (not sure why) never got asked for anything different so didn't change, but appreciate the guidance from everyone

Its a lovely piece, I do like your designs.
    I think anything between 2 and 4 hours is perfectly fine tbh and make sure you price for the time it took you not the time it might take somebody else.