Thread: Silver setting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Silver setting

Hi everyone

I mostly work with gold but have been asked to make some non traditional wedding rings out of sterling silver. The lady's ring will contain three little gemstones, we are planning on 2mm ones. Unfortunately I can't find any prong settings for 2mm stones in sterling silver anywhere. Can anybody point me towards a page where I can order some?

Many thanks
    Lea

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Dear Lea,
    I would like to introduce a note of caution here. Wedding rings are traditionally expected to last for life. Made in silver they will be wrecked in a few years. If she likes a silver colour, perhaps you can persuade her to consider 9ct white, which is beautiful despite its slight yellow cast and very tough and long lasting.

I also have reservations about the durability of prong settings in this context, when flush setting would be the obvious choice.

Sorry to be an awkward cuss. Dennis.

Hi Dennis

Thank you for your comment. I completely understand where you are coming from. Due to the lady's budget and her preference she decided on silver. Moreover she wants a non traditional design involving leaves. I have experience in working with metal clay and can create the design she is after out of PMC sterling. I am not very proficient in casting and fear I would fail to produce something as aesthetically pleasing through that method. I can't see any other way I could achieve her design out of 9ct white gold. any suggestions would be much appreciated though.

Lea

I agree with Dennis but appreciate some customers can't be dissuaded.
    I would definitely advise the customer against silver for the reasons mentioned but if she is insistent on it then perhaps persuade her to have either bezel set or 9ct white gold prong set stones as that would at least mean the settings are more durable.

That's a good shout, I can't find settings that small in silver anyway so 9ct white gold was going to be my next best option!

I haven't made too many wedding rings so far so I appreciate both your inputs in terms of material and will advise people to avoid silver if possible in future

Lea

Im not sure you can get them that small in gold either, I think 4mm is the smallest Ive seen.
    They are simple enough to make but would be a bit tricky for 2mm stones to have looking right and not overwhelmed by the claws I think.
    Inset or tube set would be easier.