Thread: Propane only or oxy-propane torch?

Question Propane only or oxy-propane torch?

Hi there everyone, I was hoping someone could give me some advice?

I'm pretty new to silverwork (I'll be using pure and sterling). I've come to the point where I would like a soldering torch, but I'm confused as to whether I just need a propane torch like a Sievert (which is relatively cheap), or a dual-fuel oxy-propane (which can be quite an expensive set up). At the moment someone I know has an oxy-propane torch for sale (just the torch and hoses); not the tanks or regulator. It's very similar to a Meco Midget and I'm wondering whether it would be worth going for.

Can anyone explain to me what the main differences are between the two systems, especially in relation to silverwork?

I'll be working on mostly small pieces but obviously I'm hoping to progress in the future.

Thank you for all your help.

Cheers

Benjinca

Main difference with oxy/propane is a much hotter flame, plus a much smaller flame, this allows more direct pinpoint application of heat, I made the change from a Sievert type torch years ago, and I would never go back
    I would suggest if you can set with oxy/propane to begin win then go for it
    Last edited by china; 12-04-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Here are past conversations on this subject, for you to browse: https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/se...archid=1634406

Thank you for your advice!

Benjinca x