Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pendant motor or micromotor? Really need some advice

Also, sorry to keep asking questions but...

If I by the solid tube of wax for making rings but I need a very small hole in it, is that done using a pendant drill? Because I can see myself doing that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Florence1 View Post
    If I go for the Foredom SR, should I get the jewellery kit that includes all the burrs etc needed for drilling and polishing or is that a waste of money?
    You can shop around, but the Cookson offer includes a selection of rotary tools to try out, a burr stand, but most important of all, a quick release handpiece. Most other companies sell the handpiece as an extra. Dennis.

Also, sorry to keep asking questions but...

If I by the solid tube of wax for making rings but I need a very small hole in it, is that done using a pendant drill? Because I can see myself doing that a lot.
    If you look at Cooksons wax carving kit ( https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...wax&channel=uk), you will see the sort tools available, including the ring mandrel with a cutting edge, to ream a slice of wax tube to the required size.

The wax has the constancy of a wax candle, only less inclined to soften in the hand. It can be worked with knives, both hot and cold, and filed with coarse files. Drills can be turned by hand in a universal handle https://www.cooksongold.com/category...iversal+handle.

If that is all we are talking about, then skip the flexshaft until you need it, because you might well do without. Start with a book on wax carving, or go on a course https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1336&bih=846 Dennis.

Thank you all

If I go for the Foredom SR, should I get the jewellery kit that includes all the burrs etc needed for drilling and polishing or is that a waste of money?

I have set aside around £400 so its just a question of whether I should buy both the SR and a cheap marathon for example, or whether thats a total waste and I should go for either just the SR or a much better micromotor.

The quietness of a micromotor is really appealing as is the less cumbersome cable which might be better for carving wax? But Caroline I don't want to be in the same position as you thinking I need a hammer thingy to set stones in six months time, but as a beginner that seems unlikely doesn't it?
    I’m not sure I can answer that unless you’re sure of your future plans. You might decide to do something else. I hadn’t used a pendant since college in the 70s and just got by. I still do the small amounts of setting by hand but I have lots of other tools and machinery that make everything else much easier.
    I don’t know , does the Marathon micromotor have a hammer handpiece? It might be worth buying one to get a feel for it and if you feel you’d still like a pendant then that’s still within your budget. If I’d known about the Marathon, the cost of the Foredom would have stopped me from buying it especially as I now feel it’s a luxury because it doesn’t need my needs but don’t tell my OH who should really have talked to me first:/
    I haven’t carved in wax but I would probably have more control doing it by hand and drilling holes with a handheld pin vice such as this although I’d prefer single ended https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...ice&channel=uk
    Last edited by CJ57; 11-04-2019 at 09:30 PM.

One of these perhaps Caroline - I have several, and they're amongst my most used tools. https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...ice&channel=uk

I saw that George, I have a few in different sizes but without the handle which must be comfier to use. Although if you just want to make a hole in wax it’ll not need much pressure

Thanks George and Caroline, I've got some of those pin vices which I do use for carving wax, they're excellent as you say.
    I was thinking of using the drill to make holes for rings in a tube but as Dennis said, I could just use a hot tool and then a ring sizer to widen the hole, not sure why I didn't think of that before. There's no need for me to create a hole through a whole tube.
    I'm aiming to use the drill for the following things

Right now...
    Carving wax
    Polishing finished pieces

In around six months...
    setting stones and creating textures

however as you said Caroline, maybe I don't need a drill for that. Because I haven't' yet learnt how to set stones and create textures in metal I just assumed I'd need a hammer piece to do it and was trying buy something that I could add to later rather than never use again.

Has anyone come across the Foredom 1090 micromotor which includes both the rotary and the hammer hand piece. It's very expensive at £658 plus VAT but less than buying the foredom and then adding the hammer later. Even if it was worth the investment, I can only see it available at Cousins which from what I hear, isn't the most reliable of retailers? Am I right?

Thank you all by the way. Apologies for my inexperience, I'm genuinely so grateful for your input and I'm taking note!

No , I’m not sure that was available when mine was bought or maybe it was too big a spend and it’s Cousins. I have the 1070 which is now cheaper from Cookson than the cheapest available then. If you add the vat to the Cousins price it isn’t that much cheaper really, probably only about £20 although I’m looking at the prices with my guild discounts at Cookson
    I wouldn't buy from Cousins for all the reasons you found in searches and definitely not on a huge spend.

A micromotor of whatever make would do all you want to do now
    I have a rolling mill and you could buy a cheap one for texturing but I also find I use my Fretz hammers, chasing tools and graining tools for a lot of the texture I do at the moment. Depending on the texture you can adapt what you have or can buy cheaply
    You could still do stone setting without the hammer action just use thinner fine silver, it depends if that’s going to be a main use and how much time is important

Smile

Thank you Caroline

I had no idea that Cousins would be such a mistake on a big purchase so I'll definitely look to buy from somewhere else.
    I don't think I can justify the price of the Foredom 1090 at this stage so will probably go for the marathon that Dennis suggested originally and then maybe add the pendant motor if I feel I need a wider range of tools.
    I'm easily seduced by a big name

Thank you Caroline

I had no idea that Cousins would be such a mistake on a big purchase so I'll definitely look to buy from somewhere else.
    I don't think I can justify the price of the Foredom 1090 at this stage so will probably go for the marathon that Dennis suggested originally and then maybe add the pendant motor if I feel I need a wider range of tools.
    I'm easily seduced by a big name
    That sounds like a good decision. I like to buy the best I can afford and did without for such a long time and saved. I’m a sucker for names as well but if the Marathon turns out to meet your needs for the time being then it’ll give you an idea of what you really need rather than adding to the tool graveyard we all end up with:/ will be interested to hear what you think of it