Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help required with a personalised metal headband!

Default Help required with a personalised metal headband!

Hi all,

I have started making bespoke headbands - after struggling to find diamond style letters I decided to make my own by spray painting the letters, then hand embellishing them myself. The base of the letters are wooden, and I have attached them to the 6mm metal band with E6000 glue. The letters are 2cm in height and have very little weight to them. I am struggling to get the letters holding firmly enough with this glue and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for glue that will hold strongly and not budge or an alternative method. I don't have enough trust with the E6000 glue, but have tried gorilla epoxy glue which proved too tricky to use and didn't set correctly.

Any help would be really appreciated! Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headband.jpg  

Dear Jayne,
    We have had members make headbands from time to time, so it is interesting to see your version.
    It would be sad if the letters came adrift during the celebrations, so I would not rely on glue alone. Each letter should also have 2 pins with the heads cut off, glued in first and then pressed into the head band having added more glue.

You will need wire cutters for the pins, cheap pliers to push them in, and possibly a small drill to make undersized starter holes.

The simplest glue to use is Loctite superglue powerflex version. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I hadn't thought about that option before so thank you for sharing that idea - I will give it a go and let you know how I get on! I bought some clear Gorilla Glue last night which seems to have set well, but I just can't guarantee that customers will treat the headbands as carefully as I do.

I wondered if you could help in regards to soldering too? I make a diamond style band, again using glue and wondered if these would be suitable to solder instead to create the unbreakable bond between the metal band and the rhinestone? Please see picture attached.

Many thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headband 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	11956

Have you considered cutting the letters, say 40mm high, on a strip of aluminium sheet say 50mm width leaving a base line of 10mm then bending the letters 90 degrees resulting in the words attached to a 10mm base which you could attach to the hairband with double sided, 3m for example, tape. Great idea and I assume you have the other obvious titles of Bridesmaid, Mother of the bride etc nice keep sake too if made right. The Magic F30 of Magic70 engraving machines sold by Cookson's could cut these or you could outsource to a company with a laser cutting machine.

I like to use rapid set epoxy resin (used to be called araldite glue) when i want a reliable bond. You mix the two parts together then it hardens after about 5 mins. When gluing it's it's best to roughen both surfaces so it has something to adhere to. Sheen

See you already tried epoxy resin, oops. Should have read more carefully.
    Last edited by Sheen; 10-04-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plain Jayne View Post
    Hi Dennis, I wondered if you could help in regards to soldering too? I make a diamond style band, again using glue and wondered if these would be suitable to solder instead to create the unbreakable bond between the metal band and the rhinestone? Please see picture attached. Many thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headband 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	11956
    The problem with soldering, apart from the skill and confidence required, is that the heat would discolour the metal, needing masses of cleaning up.

A single very small threaded screw, with a countersunk head, would hold fast, using an oversized hole in each setting and a slightly undersized hole in the band. Forcing this in should cut its own thread. That is presuming you can take the stones out to do it. You would then need to nip off any protruding screw and line the band with a ribbon, to make it more comfortable.

However in the short term, you might just succeed with double sided sticky tape, which is strong and economical.
    It takes a few minutes to reach maximum retention. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-04-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Thank you for getting back to me - when I packaged the headbands up last night the letters came away again. I found a metal file and roughened the area first, then tried the epoxy glue again - they seemed really set this morning but time will tell later on this evening! Thank you for the suggestion though, I had cleaned the surface previously but guess it may not have had enough to stick to.

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your suggestions, hadn't thought about using a double sided sticky tape before so could give that a go too. Another member suggested roughing the surface before using epoxy glue, I tried that again last night and the letters seem firm this morning.

All trial and error, just frustrating along the way though!!

Hi all - so roughing both parts of the metal/letters before applying epoxy glue did seem to work. What I am finding is that after 24 hours they appear strong, any time after then they start snapping off again as though the glue has lost its adhesiveness - has anyone else seen this happen before?!
    I feel trying the nail option will become difficult and tricky for myself - I am a beginner slowly learning what do in my dining room haha. The bands I purchase are only 6mm wide and I think it would be very difficult ensuring that every letter or diamond are straight and in place.
    There may be no answer but hoping someone could shine some light with their experience!
    Thank you

It’s probably to do with the weight of the letters to surface area of glue and I can’t see any glue holding. Riveting each letter or a Dennis said screws would be my method of attachment, it doesn’t involve heat. You have to think about the flexing of the band when it’s being put on and that alone will probably crack the glue. Riveting or pinning them to the band and then putting perhaps 3 screws or rivets to hold the letter band to the headband might work.
    Have you worn them and given them a road test to see if it all works, I try and road test my jewellery to see if it’s functional as well as decorative?
    Last edited by CJ57; 14-04-2019 at 05:49 PM.