Thread: New Jewellery making company / Need expert advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Jewellery making company / Need expert advice

Firstly, good afternoon, this is my first post on this forum, so please bare with me.

I decided to take the plunge last week and form a new business, Foy Brothers Ltd.

We are very much in our starting days, and as of yet, no successful products.

I'm sure some will call me a fool for starting a business without even testing to see whether I could cast jewellery, but when I dream a dream, I will try my best to make it come true.

I'm hoping for the advice of the quality men and women of this forum, to help me in the early days.

MY FIRST CAST:

I actually managed to cast a ring, that is (sort of) circular in shape, but my 10 attempts since have all failed.. I'm currently working with Sterling Silver grain bought from Cookson Gold, two pictures are attached to this thread, one just after cast, and one with roughly an hours work on it with a Hi-Spec 135w Rotary Tool & attachment.

Here comes the questions!

1) I have failed to cast several times, either half filled moulds, terribly shaped rings, and just downright fails, is there anything that I could be doing wrong? Any common mistakes?
    2) Looking at the picture of the worked on product, what can I do it to make it more circular while casting, and should that fail, after. Also, what can I do to make it more shiny, smooth, and wearable?

Lastly, any tips are greatly appreciated, I am very much a newbie in the business

Thank you

Lucas Foy
    Foy Brothers Ltd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cast.jpg   Work.jpg