Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you design?

Default how do you design?

More for my curiosity than practical advice as I know everyone has different levels of practical skills and training that will aid them in this, but im interested in how folks here go about it?

We all take inspiration from different things but do you draw or sketch your ideas? Make little prototype models out of other materials like paper or plasticine? Grab your tools and get stuck straight in?
    I seem to do a combination of all these things but I definitely find physical 3d things better than drawings to help me visualise whether a piece will work and to get the right size and proportions.

The other thing I wondered is has your approach changed as you've learned your craft and become more familiar with the materials you work with, or from some other influence or training?
    Hazel

I usually do rough sketches for new ideas / designs, that way I can can erase them a 100 times before I am happy, then hopefully I can create it once off

Mine evolve at the bench. Sometimes I’ll get a shape in my head and put it on paper but it’s very rough and rarely ends up like that. It’s mostly in my head. If something doesn’t sell after a while I’ll go back and refine or change things I don’t like, sometimes it’s just changing the finish. I find it’s usally something I’ve rushed through and haven’t been completely happy when I’ve finished it but I’ve had a deadline.

We were made to draw detailed designs from every elevation at College for 4 years and sometimes I have to remind myself that I could once draw as I don’t seem to be able to get my head round it now. I’m happier physically building on a design until I feel I’ve got to a place Where I think it’s good
    Last edited by CJ57; 16-06-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Wake up one morning with a new idea.
    Make a large sketch and refine it by tracing on a light box.
    Reduce to size with my copier. Some details will become too small to be relevant.
    Try to make it in copper first, to iron out snags. Dennis.

Depends what it is to an extent but pretty much always have a sketch first.
    If its something involving stones I will often set them out too on the bench to decide on colours and sizes.

I draw sketches, refine them and paint them with watercolours before showing them to my customers. If commissioned I then make copper patterns before committing the design to precious metals.
    If you don't know already most of my past work has not been jewellery, mostly ornamental pieces of gold and enamels.

James

Makes sense that drawing would be pretty important for commissions - when you need to visualise someone elses ideas or get customer approval or input to a design you have to be able to produce something they can see and understand.

I sketch some things but I'm usually unsatisfied with the results as they often don't convey the dimensions of what I'm picturing clearly enough. I can actually draw quite well but my natural style is much more rough impression sketches than technical design so its probably something I should practice more!
    Hazel

Quote Originally Posted by eekoh View Post
    Makes sense that drawing would be pretty important for commissions - when you need to visualise someone elses ideas or get customer approval or input to a design you have to be able to produce something they can see and understand.

I sketch some things but I'm usually unsatisfied with the results as they often don't convey the dimensions of what I'm picturing clearly enough. I can actually draw quite well but my natural style is much more rough impression sketches than technical design so its probably something I should practice more!
    Here are a few of my designs alongside the finished pieces Hazel, life size 18ct. flowers in vases.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5b-Cornflower + design.1987.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	11356 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6b- Bud rose+ design 1987.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	11357 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30aa Dog Rose + Design.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	11358

James

Its not just commissions, it doesn't matter so much with silver but if you work in gold you need to have an accurate sketch to be able to order the exact amount of gold.

Another very good point Sarah, getting metal quantities wrong could be expensive and time-consuming mistakes.

I'm always impressed by your flowers James and doubly so by the accuracy of your design drawings - you obviously do have a very clear idea of what you intend to make each time. As you're making life-like recreations of natural objects did you start with photos / book illustrations or an actual cutting of the plants? Also, do you ever do 'fantasy' plants that you've completely made up yourself?
    Hazel