Thread: another question about buying gold

Default another question about buying gold

Sorry if duplicate but I have looked into forum history before asking. I have a little project in mind and I need I think abt 3gr of 18ct gold. Looked cooksons sheet gold quite pricey. then I looked at same weight in casting grains 18ct yellow seems cheaper. Am I right to take that if I have grain gold I can melt it and roll into my own sheet ? sounds logical but wanted to see if I wont make pricey experiment here. thank you !

Yes you can, you can also use scrap e.g. broken rings, unwanted jewellery, off cuts etc. I use this method all the time, remember to anneal the piece regularly or it will start to crack

thank you so much for quick reply! abt scrap my question is following: looking on ebay for some now... but when using scrap I am so afraid of solder contamination. To be honest ones I have used my own silver scraps on a pair of earrings and it was a nightmare quality metal at the end... Still looking silver when finished... but only I know what I have seen when soldering, heating.... so I try to be careful until I will learn it fully.... it's a new world for me.... So thank you on confirmation of my grain theory will try this way ! TX !