Thread: How to use dremel to clean and finish.

Lightbulb How to use dremel to clean and finish.

Hi. Mairi here - a newbie to jewellery making.
    I've just bought the dremel 4000 drill to remove spru and finish off a bronze bangle. Any tips on how to use the dremel for these specific tasks? (Have searched the net but found no info.)
    So glad I found this forum.
    Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mairi, as jewellers we do not rate the Dremel highly. However, if you tell us whether your bangle is smooth, or has surface details we could make some suggestions.
    Please do not attempt to start, without getting some eye protection. To remove the sprue from a casting, you could use a cutting disk, but it is safer to use a jewellers saw, followed by the small grinding wheel and sandpaper drums in your kit.
    Last edited by Dennis; 02-04-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Mairi, as jewellers we do not rate the Dremel highly. However, if you tell us whether your bangle is smooth, or has surface details we could make some suggestions.
    Please do not attempt to start, without getting some eye protection. To remove the sprue from a casting, you could use a cutting disk, but it is safer to use a jewellers saw, followed by the small grinding wheel and sandpaper drums in your kit.
    Thank you Dennis for your helpful advice. I value it. The sprue is attached to a smooth part of the bangle.

Ah well, you have one answer then, Mairi. For anything textured you could get yourself some radial disks, say yellow, blue and light green, to start with and use them in that order on your Dremel at a low speed, so as not to wear down the pattern.

Cookson have them and there are some videos here to show how to use themhttps://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=3+M+radial+disks. Dennis.