Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner crisis - what size gemstone/stones I need to get for 3mm flat wire

Just popping back to apologise for being so dense. I'm not very well at the moment, and one of the symptoms is a bit of brain fog, which means I'm not as quick to pick up on things as I might normally be!

Dennis has, of course, given you some excellent advice

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Just popping back to apologise for being so dense. I'm not very well at the moment, and one of the symptoms is a bit of brain fog, which means I'm not as quick to pick up on things as I might normally be!

Dennis has, of course, given you some excellent advice
    Don’t be silly, it’s absolutely fine! Life is too short not have a bit of light hearted banter. I hope you feel better soon�� x

Quote Originally Posted by sap View Post
    Do you mean the thickness of the bezel wire 0.4 - 0.5? The one that I’ve is 0.75mm thick and 3mm wide.
    Can I hall mark fine silver in case the overall size goes above 7g something.
    Yes, I see you don't really believe me, but that's the thickness that I use.
    Fine silver is just for the bezel, which you can order ready cut. The back plate, ring shank, or whatever, will normally be sterling and the whole piece gets submitted for hallmarking as sterling 925.
    However if you are not selling, you can save £££ by not getting it hallmarked.

Lastly You can familiarise yourself with the subject by having a beginners text book, which pictures all the tools, describes many techniques, and has a few projects, including how to make a ring. This book, which i always trot out is out of print now, but used copies are so cheap, you virtually only pay the postage:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-T.../dp/1840921978 Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, I see you don't really believe me, but that's the thickness that I use.
    Fine silver is just for the bezel, which you can order ready cut. The back plate, ring shank, or whatever, will normally be sterling and the whole piece gets submitted for hallmarking as sterling 925.
    However if you are not selling, you can save £££ by not getting it hallmarked.

Lastly You can familiarise yourself with the subject by having a beginners text book, which pictures all the tools, describes many techniques, and has a few projects, including how to make a ring. This book, which i always trot out is out of print now, but used copies are so cheap, you virtually only pay the postage:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-T.../dp/1840921978 Dennis.
    I believe you ��, I can see how easy that would be to work with. No I’m not going to hall mark unless I start selling and that also if they exceed 7.something g

The book looks really good, I’m definitely going to get it. I prefer reading and follow instructions then watching videos so this will be perfect for me, thank you!

Hi
    I started making silver jewellery a relatively short while back and have found this forum brilliant. There is a handful of people who always pop up in the threads with really good advice.

One of the tools needed for setting cabochons is a bezel roller. I only mention it because I don't think it featured in the tools you listed. It will enable the bezel to be "rolled" over the cab where it starts to flatten out. Too much height on the bezel will result in the metal bunching and leaving a creased top edge, even when it is as thin as Dennis was advising, hence the need to reduce it to just enough to hold the cab.

I have found videos really helpful and the ones I would recommend are from:
    Andrew Berry https://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewBerryJewellery and
    Soham Harrison https://www.youtube.com/user/1soham1

I hope you soon get to enjoy creating as much as I have.

Ian

Thank you Ian and keep posting. The handful of individuals is getting rather tired. We could do with some help. Dennis.