Thread: Flush Setting in thin metal

Default Flush Setting in thin metal

Other than not wanting a stone to irritate the wearer is there any other reason for not flush setting stones in thin metal where the back of the stone will be exposed?

I think I remember hearing once that is a stone is exposed at the back it has a much higher risk of falling out if knocked/dropped for example. Is this true? Are there any other reasons to avoid setting stones like this?

The stone should not poke through, because the pressure from the back will eventually loosen it and as you say, might cause discomfort to the wearer.
    Also if the metal is very thin, attempting to get the seat right might well result in the setting burr going right through.
    Its best if the metal is just thicker than the total depth of the stone as measured with callipers. A simple remedy is to add a small patch at the back, such as a small disk, or even a decorative flower design. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    ... A simple remedy is to add a small patch at the back, such as a small disk, or even a decorative flower design. Dennis.
    Great tip Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The stone should not poke through, because the pressure from the back will eventually loosen it and as you say, might cause discomfort to the wearer.
    Also if the metal is very thin, attempting to get the seat right might well result in the setting burr going right through.
    Its best if the metal is just thicker than the total depth of the stone as measured with callipers. A simple remedy is to add a small patch at the back, such as a small disk, or even a decorative flower design. Dennis.
    That's what I am currently doing I was just wondering if it was necessary to do so because piercing out tiny shapes for small stones is very tedious but I am trying to keep the designs as light as possible so they can be worn as earrings. Thank you for the information <3

Something that I do is to solder on a circle of silver or gold wire to set the stone into if I want it on thin metal like the diamonds in the centre flowers here
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/5775...ctive_24&pro=1

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Something that I do is to solder on a circle of silver or gold wire to set the stone into if I want it on thin metal like the diamonds in the centre flowers here
    Ooh great tip thank you! do you think it would work just as well if the circle of wire was solder onto the back of thin sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    It would work but it would be harder to set
    I understand, thank you for the advice I will give it a try <3