Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Importing Gemstone from India in the UK via Etsy, rules, regulations & custom charges

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I know this to be a family run business and mine, I’ve met Maira at fairs and she posts occasionally on our Scottish Jewellers group https://gemstonesbrazil.com/
    Thank you Caroline, I’ll have a look at their site! ��

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    A really rubbish sapphire is still a precious stone.
    I’ve worked for many years in tech/marketing and currently work for interior design company, we import and export many furniture components from various different countries but when it comes to gemstone and precious metals etc I don’t have much experience so please forgive me if my question is a bit daft.

How do you market precious stones, is there any rules regulations in the UK what you can and what you can’t say when marketing a precious stone of lower grade or higher grade?

So if I buy emerald for example I’ll just go based on purely how it looks and what the supplier says, can I then describe it as emerald and sell it or do I need to find out the grade etc. if I’m honest I wouldn’t know the purity myself unless I take it to certify gemologist.

I noticed some people just describe them as A, AA, AAA quality etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    The only thing that worries me about buying from sellers who are offering cheap stones is how ethical their practices are towards the enviroment and their staff. I'd like to buy direct from artisanal mines less good quality stones (therefor cheaper) but most fairtrade and ethical projects seem to mainly deal in your high end stones .
    I think you make a very valid point. A few suppliers I spoke to from Etsy are small family run businesses they don’t have massive mines etc. They mainly work with their families and the business is passed down from generation to generation.

There’re various reasons why they can sell it so cheap not necessarily you have to compromise with the quality. Like you said most fair trade and ethical projects deal with high end stones so for someone like me it’ll be challenging to start with but with time and a bit of research I’m hoping will figure good ethical supplier in the long run.
    Last edited by themaker; 28-03-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Mines will only supply rough usually. They won't do the cutting. Good cutting makes an okay stone great or a great stone into rubbish
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Out of interest are you just planning to buy and sell stones or are you planning to make jewellery with them? I would think there would be no point in going to companies such as I suggested if it’s the former

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Out of interest are you just planning to buy and sell stones or are you planning to make jewellery with them? I would think there would be no point in going to companies such as I suggested if it’s the former
    I’m mainly looking to use gemstones in the jewellery pieces I’ll be making, not looking to buy and sell gemstones.

P.S I looked at Maíra’s site, it looks great! Prices are also not bad.
    Last edited by themaker; 28-03-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by themaker View Post
    I’m mainly looking to use gemstones in the jewellery pieces I’ll be making, not looking to buy and sell gemstones.

P.S I looked at Maíra’s site, it looks great! Prices are also not bad.
    They are rather nice and she seems to have some unusual cuts