Thread: Orientation of Fichu joint on brooch pin

Default Orientation of Fichu joint on brooch pin

Please can someone give me some technical advice. I’m trying to work out how to
    solder a Fichu joint (Cookson NVR051) onto the back of a brooch ready to put the pin (Cookson NVR 105) in.
    What is the best orientation for the joint? Do I solder it flat solid edge
    down? Or with that flat edge vertical, facing outward or facing inwards? Every brooch I look at has the joint positioned differently and I'm not sure which is best.
    Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzC View Post
    Please can someone give me some technical advice. I’m trying to work out how to
    solder a Fichu joint (Cookson NVR051) onto the back of a brooch ready to put the pin (Cookson NVR 105) in.
    What is the best orientation for the joint? Do I solder it flat solid edge
    down? Or with that flat edge vertical, facing outward or facing inwards? Every brooch I look at has the joint positioned differently and I'm not sure which is best.
    Thank you for your help.
    It is soldered on its side, with its flat part facing the catch. The flat part causes the pin to spring up slightly when released. Traditionally brooches go on the left, with the catch facing downward. The pin is above the centre line (at about the 2/3 mark), to stop the brooch flopping forward. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis - that's a really big help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It is soldered on its side, with its flat part facing the catch. The flat part causes the pin to spring up slightly when released.
    Dennis, would that still hold true for the double coil pin SuzC has ? I have the joints but not that particular pin style, so i couldn't physically try it, but it looks to me that the flat, if vertical and facing the catch would get in the way of the 'sprung' coil extension on that particular pin style, though I would agree that that would be the way to mount them for pins with no built in spring mechanism.

You're right Paul, you envisioned the situation better than I did, I suppose (lame excuse) because I have always used a single loop pin in stainless steel, made by myself.
    If she does what I said, she would have to cut the projecting piece off, or substitute a flag type pin.
    Putting the joint on its flat end would have been better, but higher, or else having it on its side, but open towards the catch. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    ... because I have always used a single loop pin in stainless steel, made by myself.
    ... or substitute a flag type pin.
    Ditto, that's exactly why I had some of those joints, but none of the coil spring pins