Thread: Project Oceania.

Default Project Oceania.

In the autumn the Royal Academy London, surprised us by mounting an extensive exhibition of ancient native artefacts from Oceania, including Australia, New Zealand and the South Sea Islands.

The exhibit which first caught my eye was a large stick chart from the Marshall Islands, probably six meters long, suspended from the ceiling near the entrance. Reference points were marked by conch shells. This was used to navigate between the islands, rather like an early satnav.

Inspired by this, I decided to make a wire brooch, taking some liberties on the way. There were no conch shells small enough, so I decided to use gold beads, pinched with side cutters to represent them.

Sterling wires 0.9mm, gold two hole beads 2.3mm, tied on with 0.4mm sterling wire and soldered into place. Length of brooch 80.0mm

I was also attracted by the sea bird decorations from the eaves of a meeting hut, so my second brooch is of a wooden bird, cut out with a saw and carved with burrs, using a piece of exotic hardwood from my collection.
    The eye is a slice of oval sterling wire, glued in place. The brooch fitting has been glued and screwed for security.

Type of wood Spalted Tamarind. Thickness of sheet 8.0mm. Wing span 80.0mm. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails O1 Stick Chart.jpg   O2 Stick Chart Brooch.jpg   O3 Meeting House Ornament.jpg   O4 Bird brooch.jpg   O5 Reverse.jpg  

I especially love the brooch Dennis, but also really like the hardwood bird with the silver eye. What kind of exotic hardwood was it? How lovely to have the Royal Academy on your doorstep, I bet that was a fab exhibition. I loved the programme on it a while ago and recorded it onto a cd for future reference.
    Jules

Thank you Jules, it is spalted tamarind, in other words left lying out in all weathers to get mould and watermarks. Dennis.

Tamarindus Indica, I like it, made a ring ring box from it a few years ago, never seen it used since until now, the stick chart is impressive I'm sure I have seen something similar to the larger version
    at some location in Australia, can't for the life of me remember where.

I love them both Dennis! I'm very much a water baby, so anything that takes my head to the sea will always appeal.

The cleverness of the stick chart is fantastic - but I imagine the sea bird must be especially tactile.

You've made my day a bit happier with those!!

Thank you Bob and George, for liking my brooches. I think we are all drawn to the ocean, because that's where we originally came from.

When I read it up, it appears that the sticks represent the swell. Dennis.