Thread: Selling copper and silver plated copper legal, healthy & safety to consider UK

Default Selling copper and silver plated copper legal, healthy & safety to consider UK

Hello Everyone,

I’ve started learning jewellery making/silver smithing and I’m mainly practicing on copper and copper plated silver. But a lot of my friends are liking some of the pieces I’ve made. I was thinking to sell these pieces on Etsy/eBay etc? I’m based in the UK, what do I need to consider before selling my jewellery, any health and safety issues I need to worry about that are associated with copper or anything else? I’m registered self employed but so far I don’t have insurance etc as I’m not selling regular..

Any advice from the pros would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million in advance 😊 x

There are many legal issues involved in running a business. I suggest you spend some time reading the threads already well developed on this forum.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    There are many legal issues involved in running a business. I suggest you spend some time reading the threads already well developed on this forum.
    I know there’re many legal issues running any business. My question was more related to selling this particular metal (copper).

I don’t think there’re any restrictions for new people to ask questions on this forum. I suggest next time you only reply when you’ve a constructive answer not be bossy and so dismissive! I can’t stand people like you sorry, very rude!

Hi Sap
    I’ve not sold copper jewellery or used Etsy but I think Etsy would be the place to start. Search other such like jewellery to get an idea of price or maybe get a table at a small craft fair if you would like to meet your customers and get feedback.
    Last edited by CJ57; 26-03-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Hi Caroline,

I love the idea of craft fair! I’ll look around to get an idea for the prices �� xx

Sap

Personally if you wish positive advice, then I suggest you change your attitude in a big way

I’ve asked a question on the thread, can you help, if yes then great, if not move on to something else. Why argue, why preach. Please go do something better with your life then waste it on arguing with random people on internet!

A table usually isn’t too expensive I don’t think. You can start off with a wee local one and get a feel for it. You have to think about display and getting your customers interested. Be sociable but not pushy, people hate to be ignored by someone with their head in a book or on their phone. Loads of help online if you search

I gave you the best piece of advice re the forum you could receive, you should head or I don't think many replies will be coming your way, the answer you received then decided insult the author who would have more business experience than you have in your little toe was one of best pieces of advice you could get it's like doing research in Library like when you were at school. If you don't know what a school or a library is I suggest you Google it if you know how

Rudeness towards members will not be tolerated.
    1. If you have not read the rules of the forum then I suggest you do so.
    2. Use the search facility; then, if you are unable to find anything germane by all means ask a question. But don't expect to have someone else do all the work for you.

Thread closed.

Addendum - I would remind people to use the "report post" button; rather than being drawn into an argument it's less confrontational to pass it off to admins & mods. I can't say I particularly enjoy it, but it is part & parcel of the role.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 26-03-2019 at 03:23 PM.