Thread: Hi everyone

Default Hi everyone

I have thought about setting up a support group for the Magic range of engravers, most of you would have purchased from Cookson gold and have excellent advice at hand but some of you may have bought one second hand I can assist with calibration issues and software usage advice... Is this OK with you admin?

Well, it rather depends if you're going to try and sell them here. If that is the case, then the answer will be "no".

Have to say I wondered why it was assumed we’d all have one at £7500

If anyone wants to buy an engraver see cooksongold, if you want advice or ask a question...post it...if you want a home visit for training we'll arrange something...is that reasonable?

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your offer of support!

I was thinking of buying the Magic 50 engraving machine a few years back, but time has past and I ended up buying a manual diamond-drag Modulgrav system (which I'm still trying to get to grips with!).

One of the things I noted when watching some videos of the Magic 50 engraving machine in action was that the assembly housing the diamond tip vibrates/wiggles from side to side as the tip moves over the metal (please see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4-K_nUxUMU - 2 mins in) - does this produce a clean, smooth bright 'cut' on close inspection?

Also, do you by chance know what the maximum depth of metal (in this case, silver) can be cut with the Magic 70 machine?

Many thanks,

Hi Vsilvered

The video shows the drop down engraving tip which is used to engrave the inside of rings and bangles, the surface area being engraved is very small so the engraving head and ring/bangle attachment move in unison controlled by the software which looks like it wobbles but produces a very nice effect and finish.

The maximum depth will be determined by the length of your cutter but will rely on various settings adjusted to prevent the cutter from snapping, a Magic70 will easily cut through 0.06mm 925 silver plate and the default settings will usually be correct to ensure a successful result providing the machine is calibrated correctly and that frequent lubrication is applied. If you have thicker materials to cut you may consider the Magic10 which has a built in lubrication attachment. To answer your maximum depth of material my answer will be slow and steady progression with lots of fluid to remove the swarf and depending on the cutter size/material you are using you should find it adequate for any jewellery application.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. Very useful info!

Did you mean 0.06mm sterling silver or 0.6mm that the Magic 70 can cut?

Sorry, 0.6mm is an everyday silver plate and can be cut using as small as 0.03mm endmill cutters offering very fine detail to be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
    Sorry, 0.6mm is an everyday silver plate and can be cut using as small as 0.03mm endmill cutters offering very fine detail to be achieved.
    Thanks!