Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you glue diamonds in pearls?

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyDiamond View Post
    Lol I don’t see the harm in sharing
    If people spend time and money developing a product and then it sells well, they are unlikely to share their secrets with the competition.
    No offence intended, but you must surely see that the point of a business is to sell things, not to give them away. Dennis.

If they're prepared to share their techniques in teaching then that's one way.
    Alternatively, you can buy their product and see how it was made.

Unlike the forum, where knowledge sharing is de rigeur, there's no obligation for them to share techniques.

Personally, I'd tube set and glue the tube in place if I was going to do that - but I can think of a few more complex ways of doing it that don't involve glue too...

Milky, when your ability to eat depends on making stuff, you keep how you make stuff to yourself
    People ask me how I buy pearls. I tell them I go to Hong Kong and look at thousands and thousands
    They ask me who I buy from. I've spent nearly 20 years building a list of reliable and straight suppliers. That, in some ways is my business. If you want to buy my business I'll tell, But otherwise, no
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I’m not saying jewellers are obligated to answer questions about how they make their jewellery. At first I just wanted to know if it’s glued bc it seems like there’s no other way. All of those are out of curiosity. Also thought gluing was a simple yes or no question. Not about preying trade secrets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are also times where I can tell someone how I make something, but I know that it'll take them quite a while (and a certain amount of trial & error) before they can get close. By that time, I should have been able to up my game too.

There's a huge difference between sharing tips between friends and colleagues and knowing that they will reciprocate, and responding to a request to disclose something which might be commercially valuable to a complete stranger.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I saw something similar being made (a stone in a Turquoise cab), a tube was glued in, burred to fit the stone and then the stone was flush set in the usual way.