Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you glue diamonds in pearls?

Default Can you glue diamonds in pearls?

I often see contemporary designers setting diamonds on other gems like pearls, opals, agates etc... some of the diamonds are bezel set before setting in the other gems. But some are just “sitting” there. Like the picture below. Are they glued on? I can’t think of any other options to create this “flush” effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest glued in.... if you do not see metal in... or I can imagine another way out if you take drillled thru bead and you use 1 diam drill on one side (smaller ones) and bigger diameter on the other side half way enough to pull gem thru... then stick pin from earring and glue it in..... well that's me imagining _)))

Seems a bit of a waste to glue in a diamond, as it would loose lot of its sparkle. After all that's what you are paying for.
    If I were doing it, I would use foil backed chatons, which are unaffected by glue. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Seems a bit of a waste to glue in a diamond, as it would loose lot of its sparkle. After all that's what you are paying for.
    If I were doing it, I would use foil backed chatons, which are unaffected by glue. Dennis.
    Yea if they’re 2mm melees I see the point of gluing

She might have tube set them and drilled the pearl right through. The only way to know for sure would be to ask the designer how she made these commission pieces

The pearls are really low grade, so I am at a loss to understand why someone would set pearls worth ...well, probably 10p each... in white gold with diamonds. The pearls are full drilled and the stones have been glued in to hide that fact
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    She might have tube set them and drilled the pearl right through. The only way to know for sure would be to ask the designer how she made these commission pieces
    I did ask her. She wouldn’t reply

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    The pearls are really low grade, so I am at a loss to understand why someone would set pearls worth ...well, probably 10p each... in white gold with diamonds. The pearls are full drilled and the stones have been glued in to hide that fact
    I think this is so far the most accurate answer

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyDiamond View Post
    I did ask her. She wouldn’t reply

I’m not sure I would have either if someone asked for the detail of how I made something

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’m not sure I would have either if someone asked for the detail of how I made something
    Lol I don’t see the harm in sharing